CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-08-2008, 11:51 PM   #111
Zach Forrest

Profile:
Re: A gallon of milk?

In my opinion, there are two main differences in gaining your protein/carb/fat calories from whole milk vs. protein. One is the ratio of intake. Whole milk has a great ratio of protein to simple carb(lactose) to fat grams which is near ideal for promoting growth in the average human (which is why the female produces it in the first place).

The second is the type of carb and protein gained. Milk carb is a unique lactose/glucose combo that isn't found naturally anywhere else (that I'm aware of anyways). Glucose is ready for immediate utilization in the muscles as soon as the body is able to ingest it. Lactose is a little bit more complex (but still considered a simple carb) and is about two digestive steps behind straight glucose. This allows for a pretty consistant feed of carbs to the body.

There are two proteins found in milk: casein and whey. The latter is the fastest digesting protein and usually has a higher Biological Value than most other proteins (meaning the body utilizes it more easily). Casein is a protein that has a longer digestive uptake time than whey, but has near the same BV. Again, this allows a steady flow of protein to the body after consumption.

Couple this with the fat (which is used to regulate Insulin-like Growth Factor and Testosterone in the body) and you have a very potent mass builder.

So, to answer your question...in my opinion, I'd mix 'em. Let me know if it tastes decent...do they have chocolate?
Old 02-09-2008, 03:55 AM   #112
Joe Waguespack

Profile:

Yeah the Chocolate tastes amazing also. I won't be trying this myself since that wouldn't coincide with my present goals, but I think it would be interesting to see the results.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #113
Eric Lester

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Waguespack View Post
but it is relatively inexpensive and is just a high quality whey with added BCAA's and glucose. It might be worth a try for anyone curious.
I believe it has casein too, not just whey. From what I have seen few protein supps contain casein.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #114
Damon Stewart

Profile:

I'm going to give this a try when I get back from the level II cert next week so we'll have some empirical results. I've been CF'ing 2 + years, 835 CFT, 6' and 165 lbs. I'd like to get to 180. I haven't drank milk since around 1995 so I'm going to start with 1/2 gallon per day and work my way up. Once I've started I'll start a separate thread and will also blog it at my affiliate site.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:56 AM   #115
Zach Forrest

Profile:

That's awesome Damon, I'll look forward to seeing what happens. I actually am also starting a 12 weeks SS mod tomorrow...milk intake won't be at a gallon per day, but only 1/2 gallon. I'll be posting strength/weight increases every three weeks or so.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:23 AM   #116
Joe Waguespack

Profile:

Maybe you guys could try the half gallon mixed with the Surge I was talking about. It'll cut down on the volume of drinking a full gallon and will load you up with aminos and calories. Just a thought. I would turn into a blob if I tried it.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #117
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I do not buy Biotest products as they often insult CrossFit, but thats just me.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #118
Micah Tanner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roddy View Post
Raw milk is illegal here in MI, unfortunately. I'd love to try it though. Someday, when I move out of this crap state, haha.
Kevin,

Check your private messages. I live in Michigan and have been getting raw milk for years. I sent you information on a raw milk source in Michigan - haven't tried this particular source, but the co-op I get my milk through is no longer taking on new members.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #119
Joe Waguespack

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Cummings View Post
I do not buy Biotest products as they often insult CrossFit, but thats just me.
Really? I have never heard that. I usually see a lot of stuff on T-nation (biotest's web site) that actually supports much of the same type of training. They even had an article recently about the benefits of the Tabata methods.I must have missed something. What do they say about Crossfit?
Old 02-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #120
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I do not want to take this thread off topic and venture into an area the mods will disagree with so I will simply add that if one frequintly reads t-nations articles one will get some interesting training ideas and about once or twice a month there will be a cheap shot at CrossFit. I think it is a joke to them and I continue to read their site despite the fact, but I no longer purchase their products.