CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Kirk Bishopp

Profile:
Rings...

Anybody have a good way of making rings? I saw a guy online who did it out of PVC pipe, but I didn't like the fact that the ring wasn't "closed" all the way around. I'm hoping someone knows a better way...
Old 10-31-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Caleb Gregory

Profile:
Re: Rings...

Make them of wood. Here is a good tutorial. It is really pretty simple.....if you handy with a saw! http://patrickhdonnelly.blogspot.com...ics-rings.html (W/F/S)
Old 10-31-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
Craig Stephenson

Profile:

I have made them out of PVC and closed them with a 45 degree elbow. They have worked perfectly thus far and show no signs of stress or breakage.

filled with sand and taped ends, heated in oven 300 degrees like 15 minutes or so, formed around a 5 pound plate and over lapped the end, eye balled the 45 degree angle and submerged in a bucket of water to cool. trimmed the ends and they popped right into place with only minor modivation, used regular pvc adhesive before putting on the 45 degree elbow, taped them up and they're good to go...I have made 5 or 6 sets for friends and none have failed to my knowledge

ELI
Old 10-31-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:

When I made mine I bought 45s so they'd be closed. Decided at the last minute i didn't care that much.
Mine are open at the top and they still work fine.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

I just made a pair.
I bought an Invincible Chains dog toy.
http://docs-opinion.com/images/kong-...ge_triple_.gif
Testing the rings and reading online reviews, I found the yellow ring to be a little tougher, so I cut the middle black ring and used the yellow ones. I put clear caulk in the grooves, so the rings are smooth. Then I covered the rings in three layers of athletic tape and chalked them up. The chalk was just a box of Crayola white chalk that I ground up in a cast-iron pan with a hammer. Total cost:
2 10' ratcheting straps from BigLots - $8.00
2 Quick Links - $1.50
Invincible Chains dog toy from Pet Supplies Plus - $12.50
1 box Crayola chalk - $1.00
Total = $23.00

The rings bend a bit when supporting your weight, but I was able to do a muscle-up on them just fine. My wife loves them.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
Skylar Cook

Profile:

I'd be wary of unsupported PVC. I'd trust it less than wood. Much less. Search "wooden rings" or "plywood rings" and you'll find a load of threads on how to make them. Obviously a jigsaw/sabre saw is nice, but it's possible with a drill press, or table saw and drill press if you're slightly more daring.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
Eddie Descalzo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron C Bennett View Post
I just made a pair.
Testing the rings and reading online reviews, I found the yellow ring to be a little tougher, so I cut the middle black ring and used the yellow ones. I put clear caulk in the grooves, so the rings are smooth. Then I covered the rings in three layers of athletic tape and chalked them up. The chalk was just a box of Crayola white chalk that I ground up in a cast-iron pan with a hammer. Total cost:
2 Quick Links - $1.50
Total = $23.00

The rings bend a bit when supporting your weight, but I was able to do a muscle-up on them just fine. My wife loves them.
I bought these today. How is it going for you?

Last edited by Eddie Descalzo : 11-03-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

They are working fine. I've got them on my doorway pull-up bar right now, so my movement is restricted. I haven't tried them out outside yet. I plan on stringing them up to a tree in my front yard. I've been practicing dips and muscle-ups with my legs tucked under me.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:59 AM   #9
Eddie Descalzo

Profile:

Ok I put mine up last night. Wow dips are hard. I have to raise up the rings a little as I had them too low. I took advantage of the height and did some pushups and beginner pullups. Holy cow. I wish the swing set I had was higher because doing a muscle up is going to be super difficult. The flex of the ring makes it a little tricky but I'm a CF noob and have never worked out with Elites or any other kind of ring.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:23 AM   #10
Thomas Covington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron C Bennett View Post
I just made a pair.
2 Quick Links - $1.50
Total = $23.00

Have you happened to measure the diameter and/or thickness of the rings?