CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #521
Brett Dartt

Profile:
Re: Breyers every night (seriously), explain this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Zhuang View Post
I hope you've bought your Breyers. It only works with that brand you know
or all natural haagen daaz!
started paleo almost 3 weeks ago. i just cannot get enough calories eating only when im hungry like that and the fact im not used to cooking that way(no recipes etc..) my lifts were suffering and i was losing weight way to fast. (about 7 pounds in 9 days) so i remembered this thread and started having the breyers every night or a pint of haagen daaz. low and behold lifts are leveling and increasing again i dont feel like **** and im still maintaing weight loss. but im keeping an eye on it to make sure i dont start going back up lol
Old 08-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #522
Meghan Reid

Profile:

If the dairy bugs you try coconut milk ice cream. Yum.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #523
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Strangely, coconut ice cream messes me up worse than normal dairy ice cream YMMV
Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #524
Scott Baynton

Profile:

I'm not sure if somebody else has already mentioned this because this thread is HUGE but research is showing that dairy has some surprising effects on overall nutrition. I unfortunately don't have a reference for this, but one group had subjects maintain the same diet for a few days except that half of the subjects had dairy and the other half didn't (calories, carbs, protein and fat were the same though), and the dairy group actually absorbed less fat from their food and ended up losing more weight. The researchers thought that calcium was binding with fat in the intestine, making it impossible to absorb so it just passed through.

Research by Dr. Martin Gibala at McMaster University has also found that women that drink a glass of milk immediately after exercise, and another one an hour later, gained more lean muscle and lost more fat than a control group that drank a sugar-based energy drink instead. The thought there is that the protein is quickly absorbed and can be utilized to replenish and repair muscle while at the same time helping to stabilize blood glucose/insulin levels, and the calcium and vitamin D interact in some way that increases fat loss.

With that in mind, ice cream could have it's effect through some means like that. Despite being high fat and sugar, the protein and calcium (and tiny amount of vit D) could be helping with mobilization and utilization of stored fat. Just my theory, who knows, I could be completely wrong.

I just thought I should mention these findings because I feel that sometimes zoners think too much in terms of protein, carb and fat ratios and glycemic index, while overlooking the fact that there are many other interactions occurring with the vitamins and minerals we eat as well.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #525
Blaine Cardinale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Baynton View Post
Research by Dr. Martin Gibala at McMaster University has also found that women that drink a glass of milk immediately after exercise, and another one an hour later, gained more lean muscle and lost more fat than a control group that drank a sugar-based energy drink instead. The thought there is that the protein is quickly absorbed and can be utilized to replenish and repair muscle while at the same time helping to stabilize blood glucose/insulin levels, and the calcium and vitamin D interact in some way that increases fat loss.
I am not criticizing, but how is the sugar-based energy drink group a control group? Wouldn't a control group in the situation have no post workout drinks (with the exception of maybe water)? Or at least drink the milk on top of the same amount of sports drinks as the stated "control group?" I mean, you're comparing protein, fats and carbs to straight up glucose/fructose consumption - sounds kind of no-brainer to me.

Was this a government or government-sponsored study?

Last edited by Blaine Cardinale : 08-27-2010 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Couldn't resist the last line.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #526
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Quote:
...the dairy group actually absorbed less fat from their food and ended up losing more weight. The researchers thought that calcium was binding with fat in the intestine, making it impossible to absorb so it just passed through.
this shows an obvious a total lack of understanding regarding lipid metabolism and fat storage. Fat is not "absorbed" into fat cells. Body fat is synthesized in the liver and delivered to fat cells by an insulin mechanism. Eating fat will not make you fat, per se.
I doubt this is a real study.
That being said, drinking milk can help you get strong and lean, for sure.

..now back to that ice cream.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #527
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Research by Dr. Martin Gibala at McMaster University has also found that women that drink a glass of milk immediately after exercise, and another one an hour later, gained more lean muscle and lost more fat than a control group that drank a sugar-based energy drink instead.

That matches a recent study (of men) that found drinking a protein shake within 5 minutes of completing activities led to LBM gains.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #528
Scott Baynton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
this shows an obvious a total lack of understanding regarding lipid metabolism and fat storage. Fat is not "absorbed" into fat cells. Body fat is synthesized in the liver and delivered to fat cells by an insulin mechanism. Eating fat will not make you fat, per se.
That's not the point I was making. I never said that fat is absorbed into fat cells, and I don't know why you thought I claimed that. I was talking about absorption of fat from the gut into the bloodstream. The claim is not that eating fat makes you fat, it's that if the fat is not absorbed, that's an enormous amount of calories that aren't being absorbed. Less calories obviously equals less fat synthesized for storage if your energy output is less than your caloric input.

And thanks for the insult, but I actually have a degree in molecular biology and biochemistry, and I am quite familiar with the anabolic and catabolic metabolism of fat. You shouldn't be so hasty about drawing false conclusions from what other people have said.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #529
Scott Baynton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Cardinale View Post
I am not criticizing, but how is the sugar-based energy drink group a control group? Wouldn't a control group in the situation have no post workout drinks (with the exception of maybe water)? Or at least drink the milk on top of the same amount of sports drinks as the stated "control group?" I mean, you're comparing protein, fats and carbs to straight up glucose/fructose consumption - sounds kind of no-brainer to me.

Was this a government or government-sponsored study?
Yes, it was likely sponsored by the CIHR or NSERC in Canada, but run at a university, which borders somewhere between public and private (Canadian universities are much more socialized than American ones).

Specifically, the control group was a 'milk-like' sugar based drink, similar in texture, appearance and calorie content, but lacking the protein, fat and other nutrient components. To use only water would be a flaw because then one group is taking in calories afterwards while the other isn't. Same reasoning goes for why one group can't drink both the sugar drink and the milk because then they're taking in different amounts of calories.

I agree with you, comparing drinking full protein, fats and carbs to just glucose/fructose does sound like a no-brainer as to which should be better. But in my experience gyms and athletic centers often sell a ton of sugar-based sports drinks and many fewer milk products, or products that are similar to milk in their chemical constituents (at least in my area). That's why these kinds of studies are done, because people often stick religiously to their Gatorade without questioning if it's the best choice. What may seem obvious to those immersed in fitness isn't always obvious to those who don't put as much thought into it.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #530
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Scott,
You said, "...the dairy group actually absorbed less fat from their food and ended up losing more weight."

This is what raised a red flag for me, as there is no way of knowing how much fat a person absorbed form their food (and please don't try an tell me they were doing daily molecular analysis of the subject's bodily wastes!) . If indeed this study exists at all, the increased weight loss could well be due to the higher fat content of the milk consumed, as milk fat is an excellent fuel source. But your claim is really very vague, and I stand by my statement that I doubt this is a real study.

This is not in any way meant as an insult or personal attack on you, though, so please don't take it as such.