CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #21
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Re: Help fill in standards for Named workouts

I assumed Coach was tracking this data somehow. If not, it seems relatively easy to create a workout repository where you click age, weight, CF experience, exercise, and performance (I say it seems easy because I have no idea how to code it). You could then sort by whatever criteria you wanted to see where your performance falls.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #22
Matthew Edwards

Profile:

Well as a 3-day old Crossfitter, I think this is an excellent idea. It will be great to know what I am getting myself into with each new workout and have a baseline for how I should pace myself. For example, I did Fran on Sunday for my first workout and it took 17min (w/ 65#) but as i did not know what to expect, most of that was recovering from burning out during the first bit. Would have been great to know hey, 20min is fine for a beginner so pace accordingly.

Keep it up
Old 08-29-2007, 04:06 AM   #23
Alex Rosch

Profile:

IMO, compiling the information is useful...
I think that getting an idea of where the level is, with respect to the population, is difficult.
So say only the top 2% of CFers are 'elite', while being in the 90th and above percentile is 'advanced', and above 65th percentile as 'intermediate'...
The compiled infomation would have to consider the following: not every WO is as RX'd (so only the times as rx'd count)...that scaling issues change the WO to favor larger people (eg Fran's 95# thruster is a different 'rx' to someone weighing 150# vs 250#)...and who is posting (if that's where you're getting the infomation from).
So, although I think that the infomation regarding the named wods is great, getting it all together and making sense is another story...
Now if you could get 100 or 500 CFers, from beginners to elite-super-humans to do all their named WODs, scaled to weight, and submit their times, regardless of how bad/good they or their times are...you could get a great 'sample' of what everyone is doing, and see where you are...
I agree that this would be similar to Concept2's rankings, and being able to read off your percentile for various efforts.
Maybe just compiling all the times, only those as RX'd, from the posts (ignoring any scaling) would yeild some usable data...but there again, where do the elite, advanced, intermediate and rounded-beginner fall, with respect to 'percentile'?
I look forward to the project's completion! Don't be discouraged...it'll work.
-Alex
Old 08-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #24
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

For some of these workouts, it takes a "level II athlete", at least, just to finish it properly. JT comes to mind. Maybe Diane too. Handstand pushups are very difficult for many people, gymnasts notwithstanding. In general, this list is humbling. Maybe too humbling. The difference between elite and novice is greater than is implied here. If "level I" means somebody who has been doing the WOD for six months without interruption, is in their 20s, and has no health problems, then yeah, this makes sense.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:01 PM   #25
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

In light of Greg Amundsen's Elizabeth video today, I contend that 4:00 as elite for this WOD is setting the bar a bit too high. If Greg isn't an elite CrossFitter, who is ? Especially considering that he did a faster version using power cleans and still didn't qualify. Likewise, I agree with some prior posts that for Diane, Elizabeth, and Fran, 20:00 as rx'd would be better than you could expect from a well-rounded beginner. I struggle with these girls more than most, but I consider myself better than a well-rounded beginner, albeit old (48) and small (149). For some of the bodyweight WOD's (Cindy, Mary) I am close to or in the advanced category (per the chart), whereas, my Elizabeth and Diane times, as rx'd, would be in the 18:00 to 20:00 range, although I did knock out a sub 7:00 Fran this week. This may just reflect my particular weaknesses (moderately heavy weights at high reps). Great project, though. I heartily encourage it.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:34 AM   #26
Joseph Lemos

Profile:

1. I second the last post. I was actually going to post the same observation regarding Greg's WOD.

2. Please understand I have no negative thoughts on this; I really appreciate the work done so far.

3. I think the database idea is excellent. IMO, the only way to really get these numbers is to collect them and see where the curve falls.

4. This project sounds very interesting. I'm a computer guy and I'm willing to take on the programming aspect if others are willing to collaborate for the concept. My initial thought is a website allowing people to enter certain information (height, weight, age, times, months on crossfit, etc), then pull reports based on that data. It will grow in accuracy the more people contribute. The tricky part is relevantly using the data that is not simply a time benchmark. Done correctly, this could be a valuable reference.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #27
Anna Foteini Hawkins

Profile:

I think a numbers database is a great idea, especially for benchmark wods like the CFT and Fran. I went through the past three CFT wod comments and put a spreadsheet together to compare my results to the other women on the site in my age/weight category and it took FOREVER, but was really helpful! I say go for it!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:28 AM   #28
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Okie, sounds like we've got some ideas. Joseph, would you be willing to put in the effort to compile and arrange the data? Probably doing this with a local affiliate's support would be a good way to work at it. They could supply numbers, and if necessary, communication with CFHQ to get some input.

Trust me, I would do it, but it wouldn't get done for over a year at my present workload.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:28 AM   #29
Bill Patton

Profile:

hi all - bill patton from concept2 here. One of the cooler things i got to do while with c2 was to build our online ranking (www.concept2.com/rankings). People use the online ranking/database for several reasons:
1. To set a benchmark/goal for themselves
2. for the glory of seeing their name in lights at the top of the list...
3. competition
4. college coaches (who troll the board for freshman rowers...)

Since i first started doing some of the crossfit workouts i've been toying with the idea of building a comprehensive crossfit log/ranking - and i'm still working on it. If I could find a small number of volunteers to help test this thing, i think i could get it up and running pretty quickly.

For starters i've already built the basic "log" part of the system, after i get enough feedback on that part, i will connect the "ranking" part.

If anyone is interested in helping me get this going, please visit www.LogsItAll.com and then email me with suggestions etc. at wkpatton@aol.com

i think this thing could really take off and would be pretty darn cool.

-bill patton
Old 09-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #30
Michael Cooley

Profile:

That looks great, Bill. If logsitall.com could also have a feature whereby you can draw data on other people's performances on various workouts, I think that would do it!

mpc