CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
Alex Nisetich

Profile:
Hi all,
I'm new to crossfit (just did my second workout today), and I'm trying to make it fit well with a three-day-per-week muay thai program, in which I train Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I am also new to muay thai, although not to martial arts in general (I am a second degree black belt in Taekwon-Do).
I play rugby during the summer and fall, and the few tournaments my university books in the spring, which means one or two matches a month and intermittent practice. Is there a way I can start crossfit without overtraining myself between these other activities? How far back should I scale it, and when should I train in the week? I appreciate any help you guys can give me.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Stefan Borovina

Profile:
I am in the same boat as Alex... I am boxing a few days a week and have just started an olympic lifting program. Every now and then I do some wrestling and judo. I would like to work in some metcon and some of the WOD's without sending myself to the hospital. Is there a way to fit it all in?
Old 03-20-2007, 03:53 AM   #3
Gary Turner

Profile:
Hi!

Its possible to fit the training in, but you need to learn to listen to your bodies. Remember that rest and recovery is most important, and good nutrition will fuel this.

If you are becoming persistantly tired, especially mentally, suffering ulcers, getting spotty, getting loose bowel movements, losing colour, picking up ailments, getting injuries - these are all potential signs of over training. So listen to your bodies, and find the right volume.

I train 2-3 times a day, Monday to Friday. But not one of my sessions is the same, and I don't do more than 1 really hard session a day, sometimes no more than 1 really hard session every two days. I stagger the stress on my body to give it times to recover. I think this is what you need to do to get crossfit into your sessions without killing yourselves - but be careful, its a fine line!

And well done for choosing good 'ol British Rugby - a real sport, lol, unlike your football!!! (Yeah, I know its still tough, I just like to tease!!)

Good luck!

Smiler