CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
Mark Miller

Profile:
Saw this in the Washington Post today and thought it was somewhat interesting. Work/Family/Safe. Article titled CARDIO VS.WEIGHTS THE BATTLE IS OVER
Old 04-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
Mark Miller

Profile:
Forgot the link:wallbash:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/20/AR2007042001772. html?referrer=emailarticle Work/family safe
Old 04-24-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
That's very 90's. It's quite hard to tell where we'll be when they catch up to where we are now.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the gap there was a lack of hormonal--which is to say systemic--thinking, which is taking into account not just the work done, but the bodies short, mid and long term response to it.

You will hear weightlifting proponents talk about how it raises your resting metabolic rate, but we are the only ones tweaking ourselves 5 times a week across all parameters between pure weightlifting, and pure cardio. Even within that range, we vary between limit strength, explosive strength, strength endurance, aerobic training (rare, admittedly, but it's not a good means of building aerobic endurance), VO2 Max, etc, etc. Each of us, depending on our capacity, will often be working different aspects. I'm not strong enough to get good cardio on Tabata This. My muscles fail.

Now that I think about it, it's also kind of sad how they are only thinking about weight loss rather than capacity gain. We are training ourselves to do work of varying types, for varying lengths of time, which is to say, take in aspects of life unavailable to the unfit.

I roller skate with my kids for hours. The other parents are in traction the next day. I'm good. I play soccer by myself against six kids for an hour. I have fun. I decide to hike six miles in hilly terrain. No worries.

That's the point. The rats that lived the longest were starved, and never exercised. I would have been one of the dead rats, but I would have had a smile behind my whiskers. Frankly, I would have eaten all the cheese they gave me too. And some port wine with that, even better. . .