CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
Darrell E. White

Profile:
I have really enjoyed having the opportunity to share some of my thoughts on the Comments page, but I'm afraid that I am at risk to abuse the privilege. Unlike Barry, who is able to write so well with such great depth, I have only rarely stayed within the "silo" of Coach's prompts. For the pure pleasure of writing and for a couple of business purposes I would like to launch a personal Blog.

So, once again I get to turn to this amazing resource here at CF and ask advice of you all! How do I start? Do I need special software? Where do I post it? How can I make my blog have a similar "look and feel" to my web site (www.skyvisioncenters.com)? If I care how many people actually read it how do I maximize visits?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
H. Giovanni Salazar

Profile:
I like the website. Here are a couple of links all of which are Family / Work safe:
1) www.Blogspot.com
2) www.Wordpress.com
3) www.Typepad.com

All of which provide you with great Blog templates, CSS support and HTML, XHTML support. The great thing about it is that they are all free.

Increasing traffic:
You can post your WEBLOG link on your bio on the web page (if it's allowed), and also by keeping the traffic coming by keeping the topics recent, not in events but freshness. Stale and old topics lend the reader to believe that the person just does not care about posting and if your topics are relevant, get great headings/titles to your blogs.

Keep everything crisp, to the point and fresh. This will keep the traffic incoming and of course, keep us posted with updated topic/subject on the blog so that we can drop by and read/comment.

Hope this helps.

Gio

(Message edited by gios on May 21, 2007)
Old 05-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Bill Russell

Profile:
Darrell,

Since you already have a website and pay for hosting, you may want to consider using WordPress or Moveable Type. You met Aaron at our first workout. He is an IT consultant. He may be available to help you with getting things up and running.

If you want your blog separate from your existing business website, go try blogger. It's free and easy to set up.

There are pros and cons for having your blog as part of your business website, as opposed to separate. Let me know if you want my opinions on the subject.

We can talk offline about promoting your blog when you have it up and running. There are plenty of seminars on business blogging and emarketing going on around our town, most are free. I'll send you notifications as I receive them.