CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:12 PM   #1
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I just thought I would remind everyone to say a prayer for Pat Tillman's family and all of those who are in or have loved ones in the armed forces.

By all accounts Mr. Tillman (I won't be so presumptuous as to call him Pat), was a humble, honest, brave, and compassionate human being. Mr. Tillman placed value on his beliefs that outweighed the value of what our society seems to value above all else...celebrity and money. It is a sad reflection upon our society when those who protect our freedom are paid a small fraction of what those who can put a ball in an endzone or prevent others from doing so earn.

If nothing else, I think that Mr. Tillman (and there are others just like him who may be less noteworthy because of their lack of football abilities), should cause us all to pause and think about what are priorities are and how they shape our actions, our lives, the lives of those around us, and our society as a whole.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:30 PM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
One quote I don't think was below was that "It is better to live one day as a lion than a 1000 as a sheep." He was a lion. Everyone over there has my respect and gratitude.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:16 PM   #3
Steve D.

Profile:

From today's Wall Street Journal:

Why did Army Ranger Pat Tillman give up a million-dollar career in the NFL for a chance to serve his country?

For an answer, we turn to President Reagan's June 6, 1984 speech in front of the U. S. Ranger Monument at Normandy, commemorating the Rangers' charge up Pointe du Hoc. Mr. Reagan's words apply equally to Pat Tillman, and all the other American men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the war on terror:

"Forty summers have passed since the battle that you fought here. You were young the day you took these cliffs; some of you were hardly more than boys, with the deepest joys of life before you. Yet, you risked everything here. Why? Why did you do it? What impelled you to put aside the instinct for self-preservation and risk your lives to take these cliffs? What inspired all the men of the armies that met here? We look at you, and somehow know the answer. It was faith and belief; it was loyalty and love.

"The men of Normandy had faith that what they were doing was right, faith that they fought for all humanity, faith that a just God would grant them mercy on this beachhead or on the next. It was the deep knowledge-and pray God we have not lost it-that there is a profound, moral difference between the use of force for liberation and the use of force for conquest. You were here to liberate, not to conquer, and so you and those others did not doubt your cause. And you were right not to doubt.

"You all knew that some things are worth dying for. One's country is worth dying for, and democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man. All of you loved liberty."

My sincere thanks to all of you (past, present, and future) who have chosen to serve our Country.