CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-18-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
Cameron Mochrie

Profile:
I've been lifting off and on for the past 3 years (since starting college) and most recently since this may with some great results, but about a month ago I reinjured my left shoulder. I've always had pain and weakness in it, and it is the limiting factor for me in a lot of lifts (getting dumbbells off my chest or shoulders in bench/press).
I really injured it trying out my first WOD (Fran). Cleans seem to be the absolute worst for it followed by military press. The pain is centered in my anterior deltoid.

I essentially laid off it entirely, iced everyday and took ibuprofen like candy. As of now I have no pain when doing most of my excercises, but I still feel limited by it and am scared to start O-lifting.

Is there anything I can do to get past this weakness? High rows seem to hurt the most so I've been doing them with light weight (25lb plates on the small bar) in hopes that it will strengthen whatever tendon is causing me trouble. Am I on the right track?

thanks much.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
If you can do the movement without agrivating the pain then your ok.

Here are some great articles oh how to train these muscles

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459577

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/throwing_athletes.htm

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/shoulder_rehab.htm
Old 10-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
Elliot Royce

Profile:
If you had the same experience as I did, you're probably doing the cleans the wrong way by using your arms. Have a buddy watch you to see whether your elbows bend at any point below your shoulders. If so, you're using the arms/shoulders instead of the legs, back, traps. Also check to make sure that the bar is travelling straight up. If it is coming out from your body, then, this puts incredibly strain on your rotator cuffs. They weren't built (or aren't developed enough) to carry that weight. So good technique should allow you to do cleans.

As for upright rows, I'd just stay off them. Your tendonitis is probably related more to your rotator cuffs. Get a good PT to work with you.
Rotator cuffs are very weak in most people and are small muscles anyway. 10-15lbs is what most people use for strengthening exercises.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
George Cazenavette

Profile:
Back to the shoulder thing, it has been two months now and my right shoulder still is sore. The mri was neagative and my time with the pt has expired after a handful of visits. I should really re-up the persrciption (in Louisiana you need an MD to right a referal before a PT can treat you, is that unique). I can finally do push ups with only mild discomfort, but cocking my shoulder forward still is very uncomfortable. This all came upon me after doing the bench, clean dead lift routine. Elliot, i believe you answered an earlier posting of mine regarding this issue. I do not want to sit out any longer but i also do not want to make the problem worse when it seems to be getting better. I can do pull-up without discomfort.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:14 AM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
George:

I'm not a PT just a frequent patient! My experience has been that these types of injuries can hang around a long time unless you get good treatment. It doesn't sound like your orthopedist has really diagnosed the problem which makes it harder to treat. All the MRI is telling you is that there is no physical sign of the problem but you can still have trigger points or strains or inflammation. I would get a good orthopedist to look at it, then get a good PT to work with you. Also consider ART (active release therapy).

Again, left untreated, these things can go on. My theory on this is that the shoulder muscles and tendons are layered and don't get as much circulation as other muscles so the healing process is slower.

In any case, please be more specific about the pain and perhaps I or one of the PTs can help.