CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Anyone care to give me a review for these??? Advantages and disadvantages? I have been looking at Dragondoor and Kettlebell Concepts.

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/kettlebells.html
Old 10-27-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Michael Stehle

Profile:
I've never used Iron Woody kb's but heard they are high quality. One of the positive things I have heard are that they are all the same size no matter what weight, which makes it easier to adapt when going up in weight, especially on the press.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Tim McFarland

Profile:
On a related matter, I would also like to know what anybody thinks about Iron Woody kettlegrips.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
Skip Chase

Profile:
I have some Iron Woody KB's. I like them. During the past few months we have purchased several different brands of KB's.(Power Max, Perform Better, Dragon Door, Ader and K2) Most of our participants for our kb classes are gals. The gals like the Iron Woody and K2 the most. (steel kb's with smooth handles)

I personally like the Iron Woody and Dragon Door the best. I did not purchase the DD's till recently. (too expensive) HOWEVER, in my hands, they have a different 'feel', which I like. I will purchase more of the DD's and IW.

When we received the DD, K2, Ader and Iron Woody we were able to use immediately. Nice quality handle.
The perform better and the Power Max we had to spend HOURS filing and sanding handles.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 10-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
I bought a 25lber for my wife. The distance between the handle and bell seems kinda long to me, primarly for snatches. The quality though, is nice. For getting bells of similar size, I like the "professional" KBs that are from the americankettlebellclub.com...they are normally on ebay. They are supposedly competition size (in Russia I assume) designed by Valery Fedorenko (I hope I'm remembering that correctly). I have the 1.5pd and the 2pd and like them quite a bit. I also like the DD bells which might be better for two-hand swings since the grip is wider across.

Howard
Old 10-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
David Paton

Profile:
Skip,

Did you find that the handles on the PowerMax and Perform Better were too rough for everyone (including yourself), or too rough for the girls in your class?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
Catherine Imes

Profile:
I've heard good things about IW kbs. The Professional KBs from Federenko are good. However, one thing to keep in mind..Valery's KBS (and I have 2), are almost the size of the DD 40kg. If you are shorter and like double KB drills like Double Snatches, that could prove to be problematic. That's why for non-GS or work involving doubles, I will opt to use DD. The smaller diameter has an advantage for shorter people and double KB work. It's not that big of a deal for those working with the 32kg and above for those drills...But for those of us under 5'5 that do double work with 16kg and 24kg it makes a difference.

CI
Old 10-27-2006, 03:22 PM   #8
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
The Valery KBs are big, good point. I like that in a way since the distance before it hits my arm is less (one reason to like the shorter handle to bell distance too) since the diameter is bigger...I hope that makes sense.

As an aside, you are under 5'5" and do all you do? Holy smokes...I figured you had to be 6'3" or something...
It was impressive regardless, now more so.

howard
Old 10-27-2006, 07:18 PM   #9
H. Giovanni Salazar

Profile:
I have KBC's and DD's and PMax. I had to file not only the Pmax kb's but also the KBC's also due to too much paint that really is a bother. The powermax kb is great. hours of filing/sanding? not really on mind end. Just get yourself a fairly good file for metal and some elbow grease and you're done in a jiffy.

DD's? At 5'5" I can attest that the diameter is just right for me. I love using double's and CI, I like that note of you with the 32kg kb presses on the ETK book. Great job and he's correct, you could smoke some if not many guys out there.

G
:bowdown:
Old 10-28-2006, 12:03 AM   #10
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Thanks for all of the replies. I was kind of worried about the handle because it's different from the rest, but it looks like that's fine. Awesome community we have here. I'm gonna grab some of these.

(Message edited by jay123 on October 28, 2006)