CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Matt Stanley

Profile:
I'm building my home gym on a budget which means two things:
1. I need to save money wherever I can
2. I can't afford to make mistakes buying junk

The next think I'm going to buy is a 20 lb. med ball. The Dynamax is clearly the #1 choice (albeit a spendy choice). Has anyone bought an Iron Woody med bal? They're ~$40 cheaper and look to be roughly the same. I'm always leery of 'look to be about the same' though!

Any other options I should consider? BTW, I'm not inclined to make my own.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Matt - Consider rolling your own. Pierre Auge put up a very nice post on how to do it but it is pretty easy. Get a good quality street basketball, a car tire repair kit with the pointy awl that will punch a hole in the ball, and the similarly shaped pointy thing that will push the sticky hole plugging thing into the ball after you fill it with sand. This makes sense to me but I have the hole plugging kit with the pointy thingy. Consider doing a search for Pierre's name and heavy balls.

Not that I know anything special about Pierre.

Anyway, use playground sand from home depot but be sure it is very dry. Get the finest sand you can get and in the case of Home Depot the stuff that worked for me was a light tan color, not the coarser gray/black stuff.

A mustard squirt bottle will work well as the funnel. Cut the tip off at an angle. Cut the bottom off the bottle. Poke a hole in the basketball. I poked the hole in a seam one over from the air hole so that it woil be a bit depressed from the rest of the surface of the ball to make a more even surface when covered with a patch. Stick the mustard nipple into the hole, stick an inflater nipple in the air hole. Get a good strong shop vac and put the nozzle on the nipple (no on the basketball you freak) as you pour in the sand. You will have to adjust the suction a bit as you pour in the sand to find the right amount of suck in order to not deflate the ball. The suction will draw in the sand and speed the process of filling it but it will still take quite a long time.

I made two balls like that and they are lasting great. I have 4 D-balls and two of them have cracked and leak. Have fun, making your own stuff is self-rewarding.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Pierre's balls are the greatest.

wait, that sounded bad. Moving on - I made five 20 lb balls using his instructions and I am immensely happy with them. They are durable, heavy and cheap. I plan on making at least 10 more.

I just use gravity fed instead of the vac trick. I just made the funnel container large enough to hold about 20 lbs of sand so I could fill it and walk away. I still drilled two holes (the other one for the air). I think my holes might have been a little larger than the size Pierre recommended.

I also recommend using the finest grit sand you can get. Coarse grit sand does not flow well at all.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
Jerry Walker

Profile:
Matt i just bought a 20lb dynamax ball for 82.46 plus 12.00 shipping with the crossfit discount, i live in florida. I too was looking at the iron woody ball but there 20lb ball was 74.95 plus 17.95 shipping, a savings of 2 bucks and change, a long way from 40 bucks cheaper, Just some food for thought.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Bret Parkhill

Profile:
If you are operating on a tight budget, I can't see spending money on a pricey medicine ball. Pierre's instructions are VERY EASY and you can make several of varying weights for far less than the cost of buying one.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
Ryan Heck

Profile:
Iron Woody appears to have leather balls!! Leather balls break when you beat them. So I think you would have to be pretty gentle with Woody's balls. And from my experience the WOD is very hard on one's balls.