CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-25-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
Kevin Rogers

Profile:

Hey-

My Highland Games competition of last Saturday consisted of 9 throwing events and I've been reviewing my performance/results in light of my General Physical Prepardness and Sport Specific Training.

I feel that I underperformed in the competition due to being slightly overtrained in GPP and undertrained in SST. The recent addition of CF WODs to my GPP training program has been fun and I've spent an unusually large amount of my training time on WODs while obviously cutting back on my throwing. AND it cost me at the comp.

I felt strong and in great condition on the morning of the competition, but did not allow enough real rest and recovery time during the previous days. I also was not nearly as crisp on techniques that I normally do well with. So, I paid the price by having slightly overtrained back and legs. The events test the raw power with some simple throws and test the strength & technique with some more complex throws.

I found that I was near my best with straight-up power moves, but ... exhuausted legs and back on rotational moves and just plain foul on the footwork of the double-spin technique of the weight for distance.

So, I've got to re-schedule my remaining time till the upcoming US Nationals (June) and the Masters Worlds Championships (July). I must find a balance between the strength/fitness workouts and the throwing workouts. Right now, I plan to do only 3 day/week of CF training and 3 day/week of throwing with Sunday as the rest day. I will, however, double-up the WODs to get 6 done in a week.

I'll work this way till Nationals, then review the performance and make adjustments during the 4 weeks prior to the Worlds.

I was only off by 10%, or so, on my distances but that's the difference between winning and losing. I took 3rd in my age group.

Any ideas are welcome,

-Kevin
Old 05-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
Kevin -

I am not a thrower. As I read through your post, I was surprised that your solution would be to perform 2 WODs per day. I thought you would focus more the sport specific training.

What about 3 WODs a week and throwing as much as possible?

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Don't try to do 2 WODs in one day, you'll just end up buggered for your SST the next day.

If you have a specific sports goal then spend the majority of your time on that and work the WODs as a supplement.

I love/hate the WODs and I'd like to do them 6 days a week but I've found its just too much if you are working SST 4 or 5 days a week
Old 05-26-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
Kevin Rogers

Profile:

Hey-

Thanks for your thoughts.

Josh- I can do CF WODs much easier than my throwing 4 or 5 days per week due to the overuse issues like elbow pain. When I try to throw everyday it costs me in a few critical joints...right side elbow, wrist. When I do CF WODs it spreads the pain/joy to whole body, if you know what I mean.

Don- Thanks, that's one of the issues that I've really wondered about. I hate to miss out on the fun, but does it pay off in the long run? I'll back off on that "double-up" idea or be more critical of the time spent on GPP.

Thanks again,

-K