CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #21
Amber Rogers

Profile:
Re: Saturated Fat .. a new study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Should I tell my doctor to redo my last lipid panel, then? Both my HDL ratio and absolute HDL were fabulous, and my fondness for grains should be pretty well known around here by now.

In fairness, I'm not exactly eating the "typical Western diet" either. Very little soda, very little processed food of any kind. But plenty of dairy, and some sort of starch with pretty much every meal. I feel great, and my doctor couldn't be happier.

Katherine
LOL, same here. My triglyceride to HDL ratio was 1:2 at my last checkup and I eat upwards of 400 grams of carbs a day.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #22
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew James View Post
You're getting a little caught up in the definition of the word "replaced." If, as the study shows, % calories from carbs increased and % calories from fat decreased, carbs have "replaced" fats in the American diet even if the total calories in diet encreased. Quote from abstract below:

"This report summarizes the results of that analysis, which indicate that, during 1971--2000, mean energy intake in kcals increased, mean percentage of kcals from carbohydrate increased, and mean percentage of kcals from total fat and saturated fat decreased."
The report clearly states that fat consumption decreased only as a percentage of total calories. Absolute fat intakes (grams/d) actually increased. As I've already said Americans did not replace fats with carbohydrates they added carbohydrates to their existing diet.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #23
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
Framingham Heart Study, one of the largest and most comprehensive in U.S. history (I believe), emphatically states there is no causal link between saturated fat consumption and heart disease.

LDL (low-density lipoprotein), is not, in fact, "cholesterol." Regardless, LDL has a positive function within the body. Some types of LDL (when unduly elevated) can be harmful. Some are not.

It's very simple: HDL is good. VLDL (triglycerides—caused by excessive carbohydrate consumption) are bad.

Keep your ratio of triglycerides to HDL at 3-1 or lower. Not easily done with a typical Western diet. Very easily done with Paleo.

Coincidence? No, it's because "Paleo" is the diet our bodies evolved on.
Dietary Lipid Predictors of Coronary Heart Disease in Men: The Framingham Study. (wfs)
Old 05-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #24
Michael Dries

Profile:

Dr. William Castelli, the director of the Framingham study has written in Concerning the Possibility of a Nut... that “In Framingham, Mass., the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person’s serum cholesterol... We found that the people who ate the most cholesterol, ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active.”

“Concerning the Possibility of a Nut...” Castelli, W. P. Arch. Int. Med. 1992, 152(7), 1371–1372