CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #61
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:
Re: How to fail at Crossfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
how injuries have you had? february was barely two months ago.
Nothing serious...but enough so I can tell it is going beyond normal soreness. Examples:

Crippled myself doing goblet squats w/44lb Kettle Bell right when I started up beginning of Feb...hadn't done a single squat in 5 months before then (or anything else for that matter). Air squats would have sufficed. Walked like a broken robot for almost 5 days.

Pulled my groin doing 200lb tire flips "cash out" little over a month ago. Had pushed myself hard during WOD and probably should have just quit for the day. Easily the most painful thing I have experienced in some time...and again, easily avoidable had I just listened to my body. Cost me a week of doing anything to allow it to heal. Learned to love ice...and later heat. Learned that "the wand" on injured groin yields good results but hurts like a son of a *****.

Nursing sore back/neck still from WOD on Friday. Here's the drill:
“Main Site Hell”
75 Squats
50 Pull-Ups
20 Ring Dips
50 Squats
35 Pull Ups
15 Ring Dips
25 Squats
20 Pull Ups
10 Ring Dips

I substituted regular dips for ring dips and used small resistance band. However, I didn't use a help for first 15 pull ups, then did not use large enough band. On top of that, my kip is lame so it's nearly dead hang for me. By the time I got to the last set of 20, a coach offered me a larger band but I could tell I my strength was pretty shot by then. Should have probably humbly bowed out but pushed on through the end. By the time I got home, I felt like I had slept on my head (hurt neck to elbow on my left side)...and just got worse the next day. Rested over weekend and returned on Monday and scaled back. Some minor pain now, but have full ROM back. Scaling back until it feels like it's fully mended.

CF has definitely shown me that I can mentally push my body to do some things. However, that drive (and yes, pride sometimes) can be "louder" than my body telling me to slow down, scale back, or maybe even stop.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:45 AM   #62
Dave Traeger

Profile:

The last 2 times I've been so wiped out I've vomited afterwards and come home for a 3hr nap. I'm wondering if I'm failing at crossfit or whether this is normal for someone of my fitness level.

I eat, hydrate enough and sleep enough at night to be recovered fully in time to go again next time (I go 3x a week). I wrote more details on this in my journal (link in sig) if it helps any.

Last edited by Dave Traeger : 04-24-2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:08 AM   #63
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
The last 2 times I've been so wiped out I've vomited afterwards and come home for a 3hr nap. I'm wondering if I'm failing at crossfit or whether this is normal for someone of my fitness level.
Not normal. Consider scaling back further.

Also, you might want to play with your pre-workout diet. Lots of people can't tolerate exercise on a full stomach, or have trouble with particular foods.

Katherine