CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Brendan Kamm

Profile:
My gf informed me last night that she was going to go on a "detox" program - the 10 day Master Cleanse garbage that's been discussed around here before.

I convinced her not to bother and that she would be doing more harm than good to her body. Still, she insists on doing some sort of detox program to 'flush the toxins and improve her immune system' and won't hear me out completely on just making changes in her diet.

So here's the quesiton: Is there any kind of legit (to semi-legit) 10 day program I could use to make her feel that she is detoxing and get her on the road to eating healthier? As a plus she's agreed to give probiotics a try which will be huge help to her as she is recently coming off some antibiotic treatment.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Whole raw fruits, veggies (not juice), 1 cup a day of plain yogurt and intermittent fasting for 10 days.

No, I'm not a Dr. but this should be better for you than any gut flush program.

Heck if she really wants to feel like she's getting cleaned out have her eat only grapes the first two days.

Use this advice at you own risk
Old 05-31-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Protein Power Lifeplan talks at length about the cytachrome p450 system which is integral to liver function. Basic principles?
1-plenty of protein for glutathione production
2-plenty of fiber from veggies and fruit to drag some of the bile salts out of the body and prevent enterohepatic re uptake of lipid soluble toxins and hormone metabolites.
3-supplement with R-alpha lipoic acid and selenium to enhance 1 and 2.

This is a very good place to start. Incorporating some intermittent fasting at some point might be good. The 10 day ubber cleanse...it's not really establishing lifelong healthy habits but to each their own.
good luck!