CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
Jeff Wadholm

Profile:
Re: Joint Locks from Inside a Guard

Pass the guard.

There are submissions available. A lot of gi chokes, kimuras, americanas, knee bars, etc. The percentage of hitting them is MUCH lower than the percentage of you simply passing his guard.. I work a lot of cross collar chokes from inside the guard to get people "thinking" about their neck and allowing me to pass guard easier.

Remember this EVERY time you roll --

POSITION BEFORE SUBMISSION
Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
Celio Silva

Profile:

Don't even think about submissions from the guard. There are simply none. Sure, you can pull a choke on a newbie, but what's the point? You won't be able to use that against any half-decent decent grappler, so why spend your energy on something that is NOT going to be a tool in your game..

Instead, spend your energy passing the guard and developing good/great guard passing, which WILL be an invaluable tool in your game.

Remember, BJJ is about efficiency & efficacy...
Old 06-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
Stephen Lipa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Don't even think about submissions from the guard. There are simply none. Sure, you can pull a choke on a newbie, but what's the point? You won't be able to use that against any half-decent decent grappler, so why spend your energy on something that is NOT going to be a tool in your game..

Instead, spend your energy passing the guard and developing good/great guard passing, which WILL be an invaluable tool in your game.

Remember, BJJ is about efficiency & efficacy...
Excellent points. If you can get away with some something on a person who has little training well then it is not really useful. All of your focus should be on passing the guard - one way or another.
Subbing a newbie doesn't really mean much to be honest. When I go up against a someone with little training, I usually ask them if they want to work on something and let them do that. Even if they say to just to give it a go, I don't lay out on them, but rather, I give them a chance to work some techniques. Now if the person has some quality time behind them, i.e some techniques and understanding, I will work moves on them, but as mentioned above I still focus all on efficiency and efficacy.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:29 AM   #14
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Yes all major (large joint) subbmissions must be done outside of the guard. Small joint manipulation is very possible to do inside the guard as well as the rear mount. These move are not allowed in a match but it is good to know them for self defense. Wrist/finger breaks in guard, ankle/toe breaks rear mount. As far as the gi goes if you apply enough tourqe on the neck (cross collar, can opener) you can make them loosen that gaurd greatly.