CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-17-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
I'm tired of eating chicken for dinner so I made a salmon patty (using the recipe from the Peformance Menu #1 ). I used the canned Icy Point brand Wild
Alaskin Salmon. Anyway it tastes great and is much cheaper then free range chicken. I know tuna has tons of mercury and isn't safe to it to often. How about salmon, specificaly WAS ?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:03 AM   #2
Jason Billows

Profile:
I believe Salmon is fine to eat on a regular basis. I hope so, because I have it a number of times a week. I think that wild and farmed salmon both have benefits and downsides.

I have read that the one Tuna you need to worry about regarding mercury levels are tuna steaks and sushi. Canned tuna uses smaller tuna that haven't built up the mercury levels over years in the water.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
Sebastian Montgomery

Profile:

Wild is better than farm raised, which has been shown to have higher PCB levels.
If you're not breastfeeding or pregnant, I wouldn't worry about eating it more than twice a week.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:28 AM   #4
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
First of all i'm a dude, so obivously i'm not breastfeeding or pregnant . I'm asking if it's safe to eat canned WAS almost every day.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #5
Kristian Palaoro

Profile:

Its safe. Give a bit of attention to your sodium intake, and maybe go off salt altogether as an additive to maintain reasonable levels. You may tend to bloat a bit, and blood pressure may rise a bit in response, but its safe as long as you do not have any medical contraindications. I'm thinking about 4 small cans a day for this response, on the order of about 100g protein. Come back with amounts if different, and I'll look into it further.

Also, it has been my observation that comments broaden knowledge outside of the narrow scope of questions, so try not to read into the pregnant/ lactating comment. PCBs are retained in fatty deposits, so they are passed most readily to first-born children. Yes, it was obvious this does not apply to you Joseph. Just more knowledge.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
You right Kristian, I was half joking by the way . I'm just talking about eating 6 0Z of canned WAS a day to make a salmon pattie for dinner.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:27 PM   #7
alex st jean

Profile:

Its alright to eat salmon maybe once or twice a week, but avoid eating fish like tuna, mackerel, swordfish to name a few due to the high concentration of mercury.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:06 AM   #8
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
I eat about 3 cans of Wild Alaskan Salmon (with a couple of Clementine oranges or a Grapefruit) just about every week with no noticable side-effects other than my co-worker's complaining about the smell.