CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-31-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
James Falkner

Profile:
I am a very lazy when it comes to eating - I do not appreciate good recipes enough to spend time preparing them. I want to be in and out of the kitchen as quick as possible with as little cleanup as possible. Eating to me is just a daily chore that I'd skip if I could (unless of course someone else is preparing it!)

Sooo.. all those fancy recipes in the various Zone books/websites/etc are too much for me. Even the ones that involve a blender are a pain (I hate washing out the blender and I have perfected ways to eliminate any cleanup afterwards (i.e. chugging from the carton :-) )

Question is, is it OK for me to eat a limited number of types of proteins, carbs, and fats on the diet? For example, what if, for the fat portion, I used avocado for *every single meal*. Do I still reap the benefits of a zone diet? Same question for protein - what if I never ate any other type of protein except for chicken? I am perfectly happy doing this since eating is just an annoyance for me.

Realistically I will have a little more selection than that, but not much more. For example, for breakfast, I always have either: eggs+ham/fruit/macadamia nuts, OR cantalope/honeydew+fruits+cottage cheese+macadamia nuts. In this way, I can eyeball the portions since I make one of two meals every day, and I become familiar with them. Any downsides to this in terms of performance?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I've got to think your missing out on some variety with vitamins, minerals, etc. But, we mostly only eat very few foods anyways. Measure out (weigh) your alloted blocks of chicken breast. Really eyeball it, from now on just eat that amount of chicken (you could do the same for beef, cottage cheese, eggs (1 whole egg = 1 block) or any other protein source). Get a bag of frozen mixed vegs from a Costco type store. Measure out two blocks short of your carb block RX. Finish off with two blocks of fruit (1 apple is 2 blocks). Eat the proper amount of raw almonds for your fat (3 per block), your done! Make it easier...cook all of your meat on Sunday and put the proper amount in individual plastic zip-lock bags, do the same with the vegs...throw in micro and your done (with the proper fat blocks). I think everyone should start from a base like this and then experiment out from there.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
Michael Hill

Profile:

I understand and respect that everyone has differenct priorities, but may I suggest taking a look at www.slowfood.com I'm not picking on James here, just posting this because his post made me think about the topic of eating/preparing food and time. I think many here would find this group very interesting. Just some food for thought (yes the pun was intended).