CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-26-2009, 06:39 AM   #1
Darby Buchanan

Profile:
Todays WOD whipped me but

This is my 3rd WOD. Today was a killer for me, but when I started suffering thru the pushups, squats, etc.

I switched from bodyweight to the bench press and the sled for these exercises and made the required number of reps lightening the weight as needed. Pullups, I used almost entirely the Lat pull down machine as I can't hardly do pullups anymore, too bad out of shape.

Situps, no problem with those made that but had to do it in 2 sets of 50.

SO here is the question? Once I am exhausted with bodyweight by pullups, pushups, etc. Is it OK to switch to weights as a substitute, but still enough weight to make you struggle and still achieve the required amount of reps, or should I just do the exercises with bodyweight until I can't do another rep and just stop?

Also I have always been told to get protein in you at best within 1 hour after workout. Would it be good to get some protein in you an 1hour before hand as well? I know this falls more under nutrition possibly, but I think it really relates to performance and that is why I am asking it here. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Todays WOD whipped me but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby Buchanan View Post
SO here is the question? Once I am exhausted with bodyweight by pullups, pushups, etc. Is it OK to switch to weights as a substitute, but still enough weight to make you struggle and still achieve the required amount of reps, or should I just do the exercises with bodyweight until I can't do another rep and just stop?
Substitutions are perfectly fine. For push-up subs, you can do pushups with your hands on a bench (this makes them easier) or even on a wall with your feet back 2ft or so. Bench press with a lighter weight can work, but it's tough jumping from station to station in a gym.

I have a question... what were you using a sled for? The "squats" listed in this workout are just "air" squats aka doing squats with no weight.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Darby Buchanan

Profile:

I did the sled because after 72 squats my legs got so shaky, and I wanted to keep going since it was for time, that I substituted my bodyweight for approx. 75% of my weight on the sled which was 215 lbs. I was just getting gased, not used to working out this hard anymore, much less working out at all for the past 5 years. Thats one reason I asked the protein question. I'm still trying to figure out my diet as to get the best performance out of my body's system. I think these kind of workouts I need to eat something an hour or so before hand, but I was wondering if protein is best or not as long as it is an hour before hand?
Old 09-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Dan Andrews

Profile:

Yea, some protein and a bit of carbs would probably be good after the workout. I'm not so sure about before hand, eating and drinking right before a workout typically doesn't end up well for me, haha. Definitely have eaten earlier in the day before you workout, i usually try to give myself about an hour after eating before I hit the WOD. Alot of people here are big on paleo and zone diets, so if you wanted to stick with those sort of things, maybe some nuts or a zone bar i suppose, im not to familiar with zone products. Milk is always a winner any time of the day, Milk+ Squats = win. I personally always have a protein bar after i workout just because its an easy way to get protein and some carbs into you right after a workout. Whether or not you want to look into supplements is up to you.

Last edited by Dan Andrews : 09-26-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Michael Ricketts

Profile:

Remember it is only your third WOD and it will all come with time. Be careful adjusting weights or doing assistance type exercises "just to finish" it has been my experiance that if you physically can not go any further (not just tired but your legs/arms just wont hold you anymore) your body is sending you a message that it is time to recover/prevent injury and there is a scaling issue. There is no shame AT ALL in doing a half angie until you work into Rx'ed.

Take it with a grain of salt though I am by no means a trainer. Just pulling from personal experiance.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
Scott Stevens

Profile:

I would say to start and finish the WOD with the same weight if possible to make tracking and whatnot easier.

Check your ego at the beginning and really consider your ability to perform the exercises with whatever the weight you want to use.

You're just starting out. Go light. Focus on proper form and mechanics. Once that is solid add weight and intensity.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I'd suggest looking up the BrandX scaled workouts and choosing a scaling that you can do. As Michael pointed out, you're risking serious injury if you keep going past muscle failure.

Did you read the sticky on the Starting forum? It includes information about both scaling, rhabdo, and related topics that you might find helpful.

Katherine
Old 09-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Jonathan Cedolia

Profile:

Darby I take a gnc whey pro before and after my workout. I feel that has helped allot with my performances.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I'd suggest looking up the BrandX scaled workouts and choosing a scaling that you can do. As Michael pointed out, you're risking serious injury if you keep going past muscle failure.

Did you read the sticky on the Starting forum? It includes information about both scaling, rhabdo, and related topics that you might find helpful.

Katherine
Exactly, here is a link to the brand X check the WOD section for the proper scale for your level. Check your pride, it will only get you hurt and mentaly frustrated. (w/f/s) http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/tomahawk.html the link is on the right on the main page.