CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-14-2004, 08:29 AM   #1
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Did anyone read the article on the cover of this week's Newsweek magazine (Jan 19th issue). "Diet and Carbs, What You Really Need to Know." I was pleasantly surprised to see them paint a favorable picture of Atkins (although not completely accurate), and actually use the term glycemic index.

Brad
Old 01-14-2004, 10:04 AM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Oprah's talking about it--she had Randy Jackson on, (who had gastric bypass surgery, ouch)and they talked about maintaining steady blood sugar--and a lot of the fast food chains are coming out with Atkins friendly entrees, so I think it's come of age. I don't know many people who aren't familiar with it. Most of the people I know, though, who have tried it, quit. A lot of people seem to frame it as either you are close to no carbs, or screw it.

They go on Atkins, get a jones for potato chips or cookies or whatever, fall off the wagon, and start eating like they did before.

NHE seems like a reasonable accomodation, since it's about 5 days in that you get the massive cravings, but I still think the Zone represents the best of all worlds, being in the middle. I don't know why he doesn't get more press.

I screwed up my breakfast, since I got up late, was feeling not so hot, and just had a nice Zone lunch, and feel good again. Same concept as an IV drip. Not too much, not too little.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:39 PM   #3
John_frankl

Profile:  
I see it as mainstream damage control. They can no longer simply ignore it, so they try to coopt it. It's like cigarette companies' developing programs to keep kids from smoking--yeah right! They don't care at all, but enough people are asking questions so they have to make some token gesture.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:28 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
A word to the wise about the glycemic index:
Different labs get different results when testing for the glycemic index of foods.
Different people get different results when testing for the GI of foods.
Different combinations of foods get different results when testing for the GI of foods.

SO: A lot less is certain about the body of knowledge concerning the glycemic index than many 'experts' want to admit. 30 years from now, most everything we think we "know" about food will look seriously flawed in retrospect. But you can't get the 'experts' to admit this. They'll continue to talk in absolutes. "This works this way. This works that way. You must do such-and-such." Bah.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
What burned my *** was the little graphs they used. It is now pretty clear that high-glycemic carbs cause an isnulin spike and consequently problems but everyone seems to forget that if one integrates for the total insulin exposure a low GI but large glycemic load meal is really no better. They are still trying to toe this line of "whole grains"....I think my head may pop off my shoulders....
robb
Old 01-17-2004, 07:22 PM   #6
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
I wrote a letter to Newsweek with similar concerns as those noted on this thread. We'll see if I get a response.