CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 11-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #11
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: ...and some presses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
Sweet, let us know what he says. I stopped using the stretch reflex for the same reason I don't use it for DL. I'm actually stronger now, but have recently stalled. I'm going to be alternating my normal strict OHP with PP and see if that helps.
Well the cert was very cool. Rip's official position is that you can do the Press either with the stretch reflex or not both are fine, but that for getting more weight on a novice using the stretch reflex is often the better way to go. Also for getting unstuck at a weight, using the stretch reflex can help you move past it.

-Robert
Old 11-12-2008, 01:21 PM   #12
David Gray

Profile:

Robert, how about getting stuck mid-push? I've been stuck at 110, seems too low to reset with (am I really that weak?), and it's the first part of the push, from shoulders to about half-way, that's beating me. Once past half-way, I can usually close it out. I'm thinking of moving my hands out a little bit, right now they're in tight, but other than that, I'm open to options.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #13
Robert Callahan

Profile:

any time you fail with the press it is because the weight is too far out in front of you. Keep the bar in close and get a little lean back so that you can keep it over your scapulae as much as possible. Also if you jump weight to fast you can have premature stalls, I in fact stalled at 110 when i first started SS about 2 weeks in, but since have worked well past that up to 125 and climbing. I had been jumping 5 lbs a workout when i stalled and reset to 95 and started increasing by 2.5 and that worked well, and eventually i will slow down to 1 pound increases. Just reset and keep working at it, you will be fine

-Robert
Old 11-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
David Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
any time you fail with the press it is because the weight is too far out in front of you.
I don't think you meant that the way it came out. However, I also haven't been doing chin-ups as well, got the Iron Woody bands yesterday (and a set of fractional plates, too) and wore myself out today using them. That should complement the press. Dropping back to 2 1/2 lb increments might be a good plan, will consider it closely.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:33 PM   #15
Robert Callahan

Profile:

no i meant that exactly how it sounds. A failure in the press is any time you cannot get the weight up to full lockout. Virtually all technical failures (meaning you fail because of form not strength) with the press is from not getting under the weight. The bar will want to be over the spine of your scapulae as that is when the force can be transmitted to the shoulder girdle with zero leverage. even if it is forward of your scapulae just an inch that creates a lever arm that increases rapidly the amount of work your shoulders have to do to stabilize the weight. Focus on keep the bar close to your face and as soon as it clears your head get underneath it!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #16
David Gray

Profile:

Robert, I knew you meant technical failures, but you had written "any time you fail" and I'm a pedantic SOB. I took skin off my chin with the knurling, and still failed. My fail was in the bottom part of the push (which, yes, is in front of the scapulae), so getting under it wasn't possible. Still, I think you were on track with the reset and slower rate of advance. I just really wanted to get higher before resetting, va bene.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #17
Paul Szoldra

Profile:

Your elbows do not need to be out in front and up that far. That is a good position for a front squat, but not for a press. Bring them down, slightly forward of the barbell, or right underneath so you can effectively push the weight up.