CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-25-2006, 08:33 AM   #11
Albert Clayton

Profile:
That is a funny story Joshua.

I was just thinking about this because it is probably the elderly that are most likely to be victimized. I am 6'3 and a skinny 200 pds and I cannot remember the last time someone tried to start a fight with me. I hope I did not just jinx myself.

Alot of good ideas here.

Bobbi what is that book on cartilage?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:36 AM   #12
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
Getting your Black and this age doesn't mean that you can defend yourself.

Do you think a fragile Helio Grace can defend himself against a young thug wanting his possesions? No! However he is a BB.

The elderly better get a 9MM.

(Message edited by bobbyasmith on May 25, 2006)
Old 05-25-2006, 02:04 PM   #13
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Any art or self defense would be great. The physical stuff should be scaled to any injured or elderly. The instructor needs to make it clear that no matter how well he can fight or retain, they must not and will not become a victim!
Now, if it's purely for recreation, go for the exercise. Have fun!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:26 AM   #14
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I've stated my opinions on this on other threads, so I won't repeat myself, but I did want to say that in my view and experience, that stuff you hear about "pulling when they push", etc, is not nonsense. There is validity to it. My teacher showed us a very rare tape of Kano's (founder of Kodokan Judo) number one or two student, at age 82, tearing it up with students of all ages. None of them could throw him, and he thumped every one of them. He apparently died a year or two later, so the training didn't necessarily lengthen his life--although making it to your 80's back then was rarer than it is now--but it certainly enabled him to maintain his mobility.

Two important Japanese words in this regard are Nagare, which means flow, and Kuzushi, which means balance. In arts which base their efficacy on these things, you do progressively less and less the better you get. It's more about timing, distance, and alignment, than power and speed. This favors older folks, with skill.

It favors me, because I've done boxing, and I feel slower than a sloth on valium. I just can't pop anything fast, but I can set things up so it doesn't matter. There are a number of arts that work like this, including most forms of jiu jutsu, judo, aikido, and the stuff I do, which is technically comprised of 8 separate schools, but which I believe we are calling in sum "budo taijutsu".

I don't think Tai Chi can really be called a martial art, but I have no doubt as to its' health benefits.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I think it all depends on the style of Tai Chi. There are many different styles and families that do things different than others. While the thought is that many styles of it is for health benefits ( cultivating chi ), some study with the principles of martial prowess.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #16
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Blair,

You're right. "Whereof we cannot speak, we must pass over in silence." There's probably some 80 year old dude out there that could make me say "Uncle" in less than 10 seconds.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #17
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
A Gun? In the Krav Maga book on Weapon attacks it goes into detail about how long it takes to un-holster a gun, aim and fire it. Unless you are walking around with it pointed, it probably will be of no use in a surprise attack. A scary idea at best, and there are too many records of weapons being used against their owners for my comfort. Mace might be a better choice. Krav Maga specifically states that it is good for the elderly and children. In the right atmosphere of training, I agree.

Old people can move very fast when motivated. A friend of mine is a sharif and shared this story with me. One of his co-workers arrested a guy that tried to rob an old lady. She counter attached with such furious movements that she overwhelmed him. When the officer showed up the assailant was begging to be arrested. They had to restrain the lady as she was crushing his chest with stomping blows. The best part was when they put him in the jail cell with a bunch of tough guys; they asked what he was arrested for and the officer told them, in detail. *lol*

Regarding the book. My son was doing a report on sports injuries for school, and I picked up one of the books he had requested from the San Diego County library. I believe it was the Sports Medicine Bible by Micheli Lyle J. But, I am sorry, I can’t guarantee this source.