CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #51
Ted Williams

Profile:
Sorry to delve back a bit here...but Skip...can you tell me the difference between primates and humans?

"Jibreel,
I really don't understand your comment. I was not giving a lesson on evolution. There are several posts comparing the actions of primates to humans. "

(Message edited by universible on April 12, 2006)
Old 04-13-2006, 07:12 AM   #52
Barry Cooper

Profile:
It's written in the Art of War, that "For unfailingly secure defense, defend where there is no attack." That's worth pondering.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:59 AM   #53
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Bobbi, holy crap!!! Life should not be that traumatic. I am sorry for your pain. As a violent crime detective your statement: "Many men don’t mean to become killers, they are just compulsive, but then are faced with eliminating the evidence." Is spot on, everyone should re-read that. 90% of the murders I work are exactly this. I worked a murder in 1997, we believed the "secret" boyfriend who "found" the body, did it. Two weeks ago a burglar, in prison for killing a home resident, copped to the murder. He waited until his mom died, because he didn't want her to know he killed a women. His story is: he was breaking into her residence, she was home, he ran to his car, she yelled "I know your license plate!" He thinks "I'm not going back to the joint!" comes back and kills her.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #54
Rob McBee

Profile:
Is the human hand not designed to punch? I would say no more or less than the human body is designed to take a punch. I've boxed/kickboxed etc. for years and think in this case it is definitely better to 'give than to receive'. My 2cents, cheers boys and girls, It's Friday and a Rest Day!!
Old 04-15-2006, 01:10 AM   #55
Ted Williams

Profile:
Larry, sorry to cross thread post..I can think of no greater evidence for de-escalation and errr...tact...than what you said here:

"His story is: he was breaking into her residence, she was home, he ran to his car, she yelled "I know your license plate!" He thinks "I'm not going back to the joint!" comes back and kills her."

Now, your advice (and not to single anyone out, other people gave this ata-boy - or girl - to Jamila in her thread: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messa...357/22128.html but I see these sorts of things as making a bad situation only worse...challenging or threatening someone, especially someone who has shown dangerous intentions to you, seems to me to be an extremely bad idea. If the woman in your example hadn't run after the guy and yelled out to him, would she have been killed? If she had taken the plate and ran away would he have bothered to come after her? Would the person challenged in the grocery store line have even thought about physically assaulting someone if he hadn't been belittled (right or wrong) and challenged in public?

Sorry again to drag this off topic, just thought it fit.

And to be back on topic, I don't see much correlation to being able to accept blunt trauma and inflicting it...it doesn't mean you are designed to beat someone. If that were the case, we would have stumps instead of hands with fingers and thumbs. We're meant to pick up things, to whip them around and rip them...or hold things and hit objects with them...no necessarily to use our precious tools to bludgeon with.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:44 AM   #56
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Good point Ted, but when the attack is imminent or threatened, you've got to fight, you can't appear to be a soft target. In the above case, the guy was leaving and the victim had a "gotcha" moment. Once he made the decision, an aggressive trained defense from her, might have saved her. She fought hard, but was small and did not have any training. As a segue to this topic the guy broke his hand hitting her, went to the hospital two days later. He never had surgery and 10 years later his hand is still deformed.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:05 PM   #57
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
Larry: Sorry for digressing, you hit a hot spot, but I am no longer in pain, just enlightened. I did not know I was different than the normal population until I went to Jury Duty on a holiday week. They were short jurors and so I was in several court rooms. I was always the very first person asked to leave. *lol* You see a lot in your job, I could not volunteer to take on such work, Bravo to you! To me talking about the hand is great cognitive info. because it exposes how vulnerable the body is. I look for openings and in a panic situation, what ever looks open, that is what I go for. The key is to fight aggressively, all out with quick unpredictable overwhelming fight. My gym is amazing at putting you in a position of disadvantage (like working you till you are ready to up chuck, and then having a fresh student attack you). Fortunately hands are a small part of the game. I have broken my hands three times just in class! I kept going each time. In real life you just switch to another part of your body. I am my best at close range anyway, elbows, knees, and head buts, all of which are more durable than the hand. One of my favorite classes the instructor pretends to injury you with a knife, and you keep going. You never know what part(s) of you will go first. The beauty of a hand going first.... you can still elbow! In the situations you describe, you have to keep going, and keep going....... There is no option.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:32 AM   #58
Peter Queen

Profile:
When face with a life threatening situation, fight to defend yourself to live another day so that you can go back home to your wife, kids and loved ones. Fight to defend them so that they can come home to you also. This does not mean one is violent, it only means that one should not be a pacifist and lay down like a door mat.

"When you're battling for your life there are no referees or judges. It is not about performing for fans. It's about getting home alive." (Richard J. Machowicz)
Old 04-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #59
John Hackleman

Profile:
The vertical punch seem good in theory, it was studyed in anatomy books and it seems (in theory) to be a stronger strike but in real fights the KO comes from the snap and the corkscrew effect of the straight punch...The vertical punch looks good in a kata, but you gotta turn that punch over to get the KO snap... thus it does become a horizontal punch. Life is full of trade-offs. And it is not fool proof, but there are ways to condition the hands for punching.

(Message edited by pitmaster on April 22, 2006)