CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-19-2005, 12:40 PM   #11
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Josh,
One of the things that drew me to KM was that it was createwdf to teach someone quickly how to defend themselves. Here is another one which happened to a lady who had been in our classes for only a couple of months.
She had gone to her ex husbands house to pick up her kids. They had said there good byes and loaded the kids into the car. As she was getting in the car a man wrenched the door open, grabbed her hair and pulled her out of the car yelling "Get out of the car". She burst towards him (which we teach for grabs), throwing punches He lost his footing, fell over, scrambled to his feet and ran off. Eventually the sheriffs caught the guy.
Sheriffs found a car that had been carjacked a block away and dumped.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:49 PM   #12
Josh Brehm

Profile:
That's awesome... really.

It's going to be a few years before I'm able to join a KM gym (closest location to me is in portland about an hour and a half away, but once I'm done with college I'm joining the portland police bureau), so I'd like to know if there are any KM videos that can give me a decent base for when I join the gym in portland, or at least get me used to the philosophies/movements behind KM?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:25 PM   #13
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Wait, I have a few more:
Young guy about 24 had been training with me for a few months. He was a BJJ guy before he took up Krav Maga. Trained here in town with several grapplers including the Lions Den and Roy Harris. Anyway, the kid was at a bar (Sorry several of the stories include the phrase “was at a bar” ) and exchanges words with a hardass. At some point he goes to the restroom. As he swings open the door to come out he gets slammed with a right cross. He covers and regroups under a barrage of punches, does an outside defense and then an elbow to the attackers head. Locks on and begins delivering knees drives the attacker to the ground. The whole time he notices the bouncers standing back and not joining the fray. Turns out the guy was a convict and was reaching for a gun he had in his waist band.
The kid opened his email to me about the incident by thanking me. He said before KM he would have taken the guy to the ground and tried to submit him. He noted it would have given the attacker plenty of time to bring the gun into play.

The DVD's are good, they have a lot of info on them. I'm always willing to help out by email anyone interested in KM (or CrossFit for that matter).

I'll post another when I have time.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:28 PM   #14
Josh Brehm

Profile:
KM doesn't happen to do much training in common sense in how to avoid fights does it? I like to think I know how to avoid fights, but I'm pretty sure that just means I don't.

Also, anyone heard of the F.I.G.H.T. (fierce israeli guirilla[sp?] hand-to-hand tactics) system and how it relates to KM or how the two versions of KM compare?
Old 10-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #15
Jeff Martin

Profile:
:lol:Josh I thought you asked about situations where KM was used succesfully not about deescalation.:lol: I posted this as a response on our forum to the same question about F.I.G.H.T.
Krav Maga is the official self defense system and H2H system of the IDF. F.I.G.H.T is not taught as a system to the IDF. F.I.G.H.T is an accumulation of arts by one man, and an expression of his fighting style. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, but KM is designed to be taught to and used by a wide variety of people, with a wide variety of experience, abilities, and fitness levels.
If you base a fighting style off of what you are good at and what works for you, then people who have the same attributes as you will be able to use it well. Others will fail miserably. If on the other hand you base a style on principles that are universal then you have a style that can be taught to anybody. I believe KM fits that bill.
Now back to more stories of vigorous deescalation.

(Message edited by jeff_m on October 21, 2005)