CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
Anders Jensen

Profile:
Rogue W-14 vs. Rogue P-4+S-1

Iím building a small CrossFit gym for 4 persons. Iím not sure witch one will be the best solution Rogue W-14 or Rogue P-4+S-1?

Rogue W-14
The Rogue W-14 cost $1,540 and will give 2 squat stations and 4 pull-up stations

Rogue P-4+S-1
5 x Rogue P-4 Brackets and 2 x Rogue S-1 cost $1.040 and will give 2 squat stations and 4 pull-up stations

Witch solution will you choose? How will the cost/benefit analysis be?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Will Thorsen

Profile:
Re: Rogue W-14 vs. Rogue P-4+S-1

It's not exactly the same, but in my garage where my wife and I train (about 400 sq ft), we started with a W-4 and a squat stand and later sold the W-4 to get a second stand and the ceiling mounted pull up bars. The mobility of the stands was huge in opening up the space.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Anders Jensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Thorsen View Post
It's not exactly the same, but in my garage where my wife and I train (about 400 sq ft), we started with a W-4 and a squat stand and later sold the W-4 to get a second stand and the ceiling mounted pull up bars. The mobility of the stands was huge in opening up the space.
Good point! My training room is also about about 400 sq ft.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Anders Jensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Thorsen View Post
Witch squat racks are you using? I'm afraid the S-1 will be to heavy to move around.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
Will Thorsen

Profile:

we've got two s-1's from rogue. they are not so heavy that they won't slide on a stall mat with some effort, but we also got the wheel brackets for each, and that make them easy to move.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
Anders Jensen

Profile:

Will Thorsen: Will it be possible to see some pictures of your gym?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Will Thorsen

Profile:

sure, i'll take a couple tonight and post either tonight or tomorrow. it's nothing fancy, but it's the best use of our space given our constraints (garage door, etc)
Old 01-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

I'm biased because I personally don't like squat stands, the fact that I can move the equipment i'm relying on to catch/hold my bar doesn't bode well with me so i'd say ditch the stands and go with either wallmount or R3, you could even get some bars to bolt the R3 into the wall if you wanted to make it not only more secure but more pull up room.

I also would take a rack over a squat stand for versatility.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
Will Thorsen

Profile:

Here are some pictures, as well as a little bit of my thought process as I was planning out my space. The choices we made were base on the constraints we had, so Iím definitely not saying that our way is the only way or even the best way for everyone. We just found it to be the best way for us given what we had to work with.

Before we sold the w-4, I considered several options:

1) First, I considered pulling the w-4 from the wall and ordering the parts necessary to make to turn it into a functional 9ft tall 4x6ft power rack (like the Castro rig, but not as tall). Pros Ė multiple pull-up stations and two squat racks. Cons Ė still eats up a lot of space because if itís length wise, 2 people can squat, and they can probably o-lift, but one end butts up against the garage door, so no overhead work /pull-ups there, and the other end is only about 4 feet from the back wall, which makes a tight area to squat in. Plus it would be cumbersome to move and/or it would have to be bolted to the floor, and I have decided not to bolt anything else to the floor or wall if I donít have to.
2) I also considered (and really wanted) the r-6. Pros Ė similar to above, though only two pull-up stations. Cons - the rack still would only fit height wise on half the garage (because of the door) and it would eat up just as much floor space as the w-4 mod in #1, but with only 2 pull-up stations (front and middle, as the back end is still under the garage.
3) I also considered 2 R-3ís with a 70Ē cross beam between them. Pros- two racks, so two people enjoy all the functionality of a rack at the same time, four pull-up stations (though two on a 70Ē beam is tight), plenty of room for plate storage. Cons- Iím 6í2Ē, so the pull-up bar was low for kipping, the racks make space a little more cramped for double-unders, and the garage felt crowded enough with one w-4, I can imagine how crowded it would feel with two R-3ís connected, I wasnít sure we could get away with not bolting them to the floor, and it would have cost way more ($700 a piece)
4) Lastly, I considered the S-1 squat stands with the ceiling mounted pull-up bars. Pros Ė they were cheaper, the stands are movable (on wheels), I can store both face to face in a little more that a 4x4 area (and under the door because they are only 6ft tall) because the can slide together, and the pull-up bars are expandable (if I need two more pull-up stations, I just need another bracket in the middle. Cons Ė squat stands and pull-up brackets do not look nearly as cool (in fact they make the garage look almost empty), the squat stands do not allow for band work, they rock just a little when re-racking heavy weight (not in a way that makes me feel unsafe, but you can tell they are not tied down), and you canít do rack pulls without the safety spotter arms (which I have).

Also, Iíve seen enough videos of the muscledriver folks squatting 250+ kilos and then racking it in their version of the s-1 (2x3 in tubing of 11 gauge steel) with no issue that I was convinced the s-1 would be fine for the amount of weight we were using (most ours have had to handle is 345lbs, and that was with no issue).

So for us, the big issue was how to maximize the space such at least 2 people could o-lift, squat, do pull-ups, double-unders, etc at the same time without interfering with each other.

I had to show my training partner (wife) that we could do so in the most cost effective manner while also storing a couple c-2 rowers, 2 20x24x30 plyo boxes, a 70in rogue mass storage system full of plates, a homemade 9-bar holder, as well as a push mower, a deep freezer, and various tools, etc, all in a 19x20 garage.

I wish we had room for (and dollars for) a couple of monster-lite r-6 racks because they are flat out awesome looking, or even room for a couple r-3's, but it just came down to space (both height and square footage), cost, and greatest utility for us.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1876.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	13125  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1878.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	13126  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1880.jpg