CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-15-2004, 07:24 PM   #1
Roy Taylor

Profile:
Im planning on investing in a power rack. Im going for the cheapest because of my budget. This is the lowest price I have found, and it's from Powerline.

http://www.bigfitness.com/bigfit/bosopopora.html

Has anyone had experience with it? The only problem I have with this one is that it isn't as tall as I would prefer(as far as pullups go) It also costs just $20 to ship. Cheap, IMO.

Cheers

Roy
Old 09-16-2004, 02:29 AM   #2
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Roy,
Also check out these guys: http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/

Don't miss the guy on the front page demonstrating the Glute-ham machine. He's loving it!
Old 09-16-2004, 10:46 AM   #3
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
"he's loving it"

you are not joking, you'd think they would need an 18+ rating to show something like that

Old 09-16-2004, 01:18 PM   #4
mark litherland

Profile:  
roy i got the powerline rack about 3 months ago and think its great value for money the only down side to it is the height but at 5 ft 6 pull ups and overhead lockouts are fine.
cheers mark
Old 09-17-2004, 05:26 PM   #5
James R. Climer

Profile:
Don't forget WalMart online:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=1951276

Got my Weider 400 squat rack for $140.00, with shipping & tax I got it delivered to my door for $219.00. I even had an assistant turn the 45 minute assembly into a 2-hour fiasco (see picture).
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/5410.jpg
It is a sort of starved down version of the institutional sized big gym racks, but it fit in my garage under the open door perfect. Never been a power lifter, but I feel it could handle up to 500 lbs. It's about 7 feet tall, 36 in wide & 30 inches deep. I have homeade rings, bars across the garage rafters and a dip/chin power tower station, (aka my former squat stand, $50.00 on sale at Big 5 sporting goods), so I didn't worry about the chin bar, but I can still use it. The compromise is with the smaller width, (elbows just touch the safety pins on bench press if I flair them out), I can easily lay across the safety pins to perform reverse-hypers and back estensions, (of course mega-padding on the safety pin is extra). Good Luck whatever you decide.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:20 PM   #6
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Another option is to find a welder to build you one. This guy's plans seem solid to me, check out:
http://www.dolfzine.com/page633.htm
I'll bet you can get a custom made one from a local welder for pretty cheap. They probably have experience making them and if you have an idea of what you what, they are glad to work with you.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:45 PM   #7
WILL NEWLAND

Profile:  
Have you tried making a rack from scaffolding ?easy to assemble & infitely adjustable.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:23 AM   #8
James R. Climer

Profile:
We use a lot of those needle beam & knuckle-type scaffolding here where I work, and I researched them for this purpose because I liked the the idea of their scalability, I could forsee many evolutions & uses for these and they are very versatile (the carpenters who erect them here are nothing short of artists), as well as portability since I am living in a rented house.

I concluded they would end up costing about the price of a fairly heavy duty squat rack brand new, $275.00 to $400.00 US, but I never was able to locate a source of used scaffolding.