CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-22-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
Ron Nelson

Profile:
I'm in the process of getting our school's conditioning program going and want to get some Jumpstretch Bands to help with pull ups and squats, among other things.
My question is, does anyone know of either a cheaper substitute or of a retail outlet where I can get them? I was thinking of surgical tubing, but does it have enough resistance/strength? I'm in So. Cal for location reference.
Any help is appreciated!!
BTW, if all else fails, I'm going through Jumpstretch directly.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:11 PM   #2
Jason Carey

Profile:
years ago my gymnastics group used inner tubes from bicycle tires. we varied the resistance by changing the wheel diameter, tire width and tube thickness. for example, a lightweight 26" tube for road bikes (0.375" width?) provides a heck of a lot less resistance (or assistance) than a 20" heavyweight BMX tube (2.125"). of course, you don't get a very reliable reference for the amount of resistance, but they do get the job done. just cut the tube on either side of the stem, wrap each end around your rings (or other apparatus), and you're ready to go.
jason
Old 09-22-2004, 04:56 PM   #3
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Ron - I experimented with 1/2" bungee cord which we had on hand for some other uses. It took some adjusting to make it work right. It didn't work too well for guys over 180lbs who could not do a pull up. It worked OK for smaller guys. I got it at a place called UFO - kind of a fabric / rope supply warehouse. It's in San Diego county (Vista) and it was a dollar a foot. We had already cut ours into 18 foot sections. You would have to experiment with it - and I don't know what the jump stretch bands run so it may not even be worth the price.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:13 AM   #4
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Ron

This discussion might help you out. If you are buying in bulk that pallet banding might be the way to go... also ironwoody's sounds cool too.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/4730.html

In other news, I finally remembered how to search the message boards. I was pulling my hair out doing the google search on the main page and wondering why discussions I had seen weren't popping up. Duh!
Old 09-23-2004, 09:45 AM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

I've used heavy surgical tubing for years. Moderately cheap, works great, lasts a long time. Only downside that I've found is that it's round, and may (probably will) roll under your feet.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:08 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Ironwoody's got great reviews and the bands are much cheaper than jumpstretch. Lot of guess work with the tension on rubber tubes. I think I would be careful buying equip for kids. If something is NOT specifically designed for weight training (ala Jumpstretch or Ironwoody) you may be in for a legal problem if the tubes or pallet bands fail and snap into Johnny's scrotum.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:00 PM   #7
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Larry, thanks for the tip (LOL, BTW :biggrin:) Good thing we're training girls right now! One thing we're always concerned with at schools is tort liability!
Everyone, thanks for the leads on Ironwoody, I'll be checking it out today.
As always, this community is full of great ideas!
Old 09-23-2004, 02:29 PM   #8
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Update, just went to ironwoody. Great site! Great prices! Ordered 8 bands and saved a bunch. Thanks Crossfitters once again! I'm buying the first round whenever I see you guys.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:48 AM   #9
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Might be too late, but on APTDWELLER's website he mentions he used large rubber pallette bands from mcmaster.com. I bought 5 of the biggest and smallest for <$25 total... if you're out of the market maybe this will help someone else - I hang them from my pullup bar and do planche work on the parallettes with them holding my feet.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:23 PM   #10
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Thanks Ben! I'll probably be ordering some of those. Can't beat the price!