CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 09-05-2005, 12:51 AM   #1
Charlie Reid

Profile:
I know the TSC is coming up on the 17th of this month. It's a little late to train (since i havent been doing anything but crossfit), but i'm really in the mood to compete. Does anybody have any ideas for combining TSC training and Crossfit WOD for the upcoming TSC event?

for those that dont know what the Tactical strength challenge is...it's 3 attempts at a max deadlift poundage followed by max bodyweight pullups and then a 5-minute 24kg. max-reps snatch test. Winner is the one who has the best combined scores between the 3 events.

Old 09-05-2005, 04:25 AM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Hmmm, I'd say that Crossfit alone would probably do pretty well for training for all three events. Is this done with a bar or a kettlebell? I remember seeing the kettlebell version in one of Pavel's books, looked interesting :D
Old 09-05-2005, 07:01 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
By no means am I an expert on this, but I would say you need to get under a 24kg KB...a lot. Really hit the technique. I would also work non-kipping pull ups into my warm-ups. Every other rest day I would run the comp. in the order you have to do it. Have fun.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:13 AM   #4
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Larry,

You're right on about the snatches. They really require a technique with the kettlebell that you have to learn to appreciate. It takes time and practice. I love snatches, though, despite what they do to my hands (Hell, Bar Muscle-ups are far worse for tearing apart my hands, anyways).

Jesse,

It's a kettlebell.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
Charlie Reid

Profile:
Definitely need to work the non-kipping pull-ups, however i've competed in GS in the past so my technique is pretty proficient. I think i will just run through the comp a couple of times before the event and sub whatever exercises neccessary into the WOD. TSC is definitely crossfit friendly
Old 09-06-2005, 04:48 AM   #6
bill fox

Profile:

What Jesse and Larry said. CF is just about right on for this except that technique matters ALOT when you're doing 100-140 reps. I, and most, have found that our technique actually morphs a little, not GS/not RKC for this kind of thing

BUT

I, for one, am not really training for it. I have done mostly weighted pullups, no deadlifting, and heavier (32kg)KB snatching. Straight CF is probably as close to "training" for this as anybody's doing.

Bill
Old 09-06-2005, 09:08 AM   #7
Charlie Reid

Profile:
Bill-

Do you know when the deadline to sign-up is?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:35 AM   #8
bill fox

Profile:

There was a "deadline" but I think you can just bring a check day of at this point. Call whoever is running the one you plan on going to.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #9
Charlie Reid

Profile:
thanks, i think it's at revolution la jolla.