CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Joshua Ciardi

Profile:
GOMAD - Starting out

Hi all,

Just read SS and it mentiones something about GOMAD.

Currently I've played soccer for most of my life so cardio, endurance stuff I'm smashing but making very little progress with lifting heavy.

I know GOMAD is pretty much the opposite of Paleo but it would be good to run for 1-2 months to build up the strength (so I can at least keep up with the heavy O-lifts etc.

Once my strength is there I'll switch to Paleo or some sort of maintenance diet (very hard to avoid pasta/milk/rice in my kind of work). In any case it will be a clean diet designed to lose the BF which will eventually come with GOMAD, and I should be able to regain my cardio/running/burpee/puship speed

Thoughts?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: GOMAD - Starting out

There are smarter ways to gain weight than with GOMAD. Yeah, it'll put weight on in a hurry, but it'll be soft weight and after a few months you'll just be trying to cut a lot of it.

What are you currently eating, and how much? The first option is to simply eat more of what you're used to eating, and maybe add in a quart of whole milk per day. Make sure you're getting plenty of protein (at least 1g per pound of bodyweight) and good carbs and fats.

Are you planning on actually doing SS or did you only read the book?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Cain Deckhard

Profile:

Just how much contractile muscle tissue do you believe you can gain per week? Contrast that with the weight gain reported on GOMAD. Then ask yourself whether it's likely that they achieved steroid like muscle gains (a look at their "progress pictures" is enough to tell that they just got soft...but I am sure there is tons of muscle hiding under all that flab ).

Reality is, guys on steroids with amazing partitioning can do it. Skinny guys who burn through food like a blowtorch can do it for a little while. Being an endurance guy who hasnt lifted seriously doesnt qualify as either of those.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Jason M Struck

Profile:

would you rather be soft and strong, or skinny and weak?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Hoku Kinzie

Profile:

If I did this may as well do the GOICAD (gallon of ice cream a day).
Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoku Kinzie View Post
If I did this may as well do the GOICAD (gallon of ice cream a day).
Not as easy as it sounds.
Trust me.
Keeping up with my POICAD (Pint) is tough enough.
Perhaps if I didn't do it all in one sitting, at night, after a big dinner, it would be different.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Jason Spradlin

Profile:

I did GOMAD last year for about 6 weeks. I went from 152lbs to 176lbs, and yes some of it was "soft". I would say about 7lbs or so of lean muscle realistically. My strength went way up though. I put 60lbs on DL, 45 on squats, and 40 on bench. So, to me it was worth it. I used a modified verison of Starting Strength that included power cleans and pull ups.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

GOMAD will not make you soft or fat by itself. you could do it and gain weight or do it and lose weight. overall calories still matter. i have been doing GOMAD pretty much nonstop since i was 12 year old (only a few breaks due to deployments) and i have gained weight, lost weight, been big and strong, been ripped, been fat, ran miles and miles everyday, be skinny, and everything in between. training and diet matter. it is not a cure all. it is not good or bad. it is a tool. if it helps then do it. also you aren't going to get soft or fat overnight. start off and if you don't like it then stop. or try just a half gallon a day. more than just the calories and protein, the hormones, calcium, vitamin D, etc seem to help alot of people quite a bit if their diet is lacking.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Contrary to what Rip believes, I believe most of the evidence shows that you can actually only gain about 2lbs of lean tissue a month or around 20lbs a year. I'm not sure if this is just muscle or muscle, bone, and connective tissue.

A lot of the extra weight is fluid retention in the cells because of being carb heavy. So it's not fat but will make you bigger besides giving you more energy to burn.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Joshua Ciardi

Profile:

okay so just to clarify;

im not really concerned about the quality of long-term muscle

i dont intend to do GOMAD forever, just while im new to crossfit

after years of soccer my legs are well developed but naturally arms, shoulders, back are quite weak

so things like squats are a problem for me, im restricted to a weight that my forearms can handle, even though my legs can push a lot more

and I absolutely stink at pullups, im 75kg and around 176cm tall (70kg during soccer season) and my legs are around the size of a well rounded 85kg lifter, my legs are also relatively long compared to somebody of equal height (which is great for soccer but sucks for crossfit)

so I'm looking for a way for my upper body to catch up fast... sure over time things will even out but i figured with GOMAD I'll gain some all round strength in the short term... it's approaching winter here in australia so not a bad time to be on the chubby side, and im not a bit guy so I wont exactly end up fat

once my upper and lower body strength are in proportion I will stop the GOMAD and either go full paleo or just my usual high protein/clean carb diet