CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Eric G Taylor

Profile:
Running a garage box

Well like everyone else I'm in the waiting pool to get an email from HQ. I'm giddy everyday waiting so its nice to read some of these threads and realize I'm not the only one. I do have a few questions tho.

So while I am in the holding pattern I figured to get my feet wet I would offer classes out of my garage which is where I workout at. I dont really know how to market it tho without advertising CF. I know that I can say I'm a L1 trainer but that's it.

Anyone else out there started in their garage and did the same thing if not simular to what I'm doing? What are some things I can do for marketing without shooting myself in the foot. I am currently on Active Duty in the Army so while I'm in I figured I would start extremely small and then by the time it's time for me to get out I could have found a space and moved in. looking to start in a space about 800-1000 sq ft and work from that for a few years or until membership grows. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Rob Bousquet

Profile:
Re: Running a garage box

I had people in my garage for almost a year now. But I was not charging them and it was friends and family. I would think it would be easier to start with friends than outside marketing. Getting 1-2 people doing it and telling everyone about what they are doing should fill up 1000 sq/ft pretty quick. From my understanding just make sure you say and tell them to say you are L1 cert and working out in your garage. If you know the affiliate is going to happen soon you don't want to jeopardize it by doing something dumb now.
Best of luck to you and keep us posted.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Word of mouth is basically the most effective way of marketing.

In the meantime, set up a least a cheapo website and blog, facebook, etc.

One of my friend's first client was his pastor, the box I worked out last year got a fair share of members from their church (which he and his wife worked for).
Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
Silviu Bona

Profile:

I'm in the same boat as you man. I was planning on starting in the fall but started training a month ago. I basically just asked people on my street to come overe and workout. As the saw me sowing crazy stuff up and down the street and in my garage they were intreagued. I even
Gully stopped asking and one day I was approached by 3 different people who asked me to train them. Some say my videos n Facebook, and others were neibourghs. I do not charge them but they donate some equipment and one member has a buisness consulting company and is getting everything ready for me to start my affiliate. I was transparent them all and told them that I would be charging them when I have to pay for me affiliate fee. They love it and aren't going anywhere. They also bout 2 more people in since.

Focuse one the members you have, stay small and be excellent!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Vladimir Musman

Profile:

Thans for this thread op, I am also in waiting.

Silviu "stay small and be excellent" is the best advice I have heard thus far. I am on contract out of state away from home now, but when I come back to Virginia, I am going to start training people on my deck, and go from there.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Brian Lelli

Profile:

I've been running classes out of my garage since the beginning of the year.

We did free classes by appointment only for the first 3 mo. Then it got a bit hectic trying to do that, deal with no-shows and keep my full time job so we started charging. That cut down the playing field from 20 folks to 8. Much more manageable now.

I'd like to stay at my place the rest of the spring & summer and build up more clients and focus on the ones I have now.

Make them into walking billboards. You can obviously do this by training them properly etc, but also getting t shirts and whatnot help spread the word too.

Try looking into doing some community events or training at a local park wearing your gear
Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
Jason M Struck

Profile:

I experienced VERY low growth running out of my garage.

it's a great way to start, but your main goal should be to practice coaching, create your brand/system/unique identity, and then unleash it upon the world via a move to a (in potential client's eyes) REAL SPACE.

a toilet, a parking lot and some lights and signs=legitimacy, and no fear of rape.

My clientele is 75% women. They want a decent and legit looking place to train.

2 years of garage=15 new clients

1 year in the burbs in a warehouse=30 new clients

90 days of nice place, in the middle of the city with a great system in place = 50 new clients.

Not saying these are laws of nature, just what I experienced. I was an experienced coach when I affiliated, not a newb.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Eric G Taylor

Profile:

Jason,

you are absolutely right! And when making my post on Craigslist i was kinda discouraged because I did'nt want to seem like I was using it as a ploy to lure women. The odd thing is it seems to have the opposite effect. All I get are what seems to be serious people on first contact. When I make contact to provide address and times and answer any lingering questions I find out these people really are just looking for something else. Not to say im so good looking or anything but all I get is aggressive women that just want sex. I am married and just want to run a legimite box and gain coaching experience and have fun. Right now I charge 75 bucks a month and will pro rate for anyone that asks. I also give foundations and 2 classes after for free and then can talk about prices after. Its just so frustrating when I dont get real people with real interest.

I think Im gonna just keep on going with my one athlete I have now and continue to work on my own training and staying in touch with my coach. Ill have him just put out the word to his friends at work and people he knows and see if we can get new members that way.

also so do you think that price is good $75 a month for a garage box? I have everything a working affiliate has except a rope but i know boxes in this area that dont have climbing ropes and they are doing great.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
Silviu Bona

Profile:

Stick with it man. I started with one client, then his fiancÚ joined and neighbors took interest in our outdoor wods and now I'm at 5 within my first month. Don't underbelly yourself. If you are a good coach and paying for affiliation, then charge a respectable rate. I will not work for 4$ an hour. I'd rather do it for free have have members donate for equipment early on. I'm in the process of affiliating and am going to charge 150 unlimited, 135 3x/week and I'm offering existing members 30% off. I've been training for free, honing my skills and have always been honest with my intentions and pricing. All my members are fully committed and are walking billboards.
I Wana grow slowly and I think I've done a pretty good job creating a solid foundation for my garage gym.