CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Jason M Struck

Profile:
Feedback/Discussion of Promo Video(s)

Our Video which is WORK AND FAMILY SAFE, though it contains loud music (which is not lyrically offensive)

We had this made by one of our clients, in a trade of services.

It was a good experience for us, we had fun helping to stage or shoot the video. In the end, I am a little ambivalent about the quality of the video itself, but I do think there's a lot of imagery that will help a prospective client understand what we are about by watching it for 90 seconds.

I'd love to get feedback on our own video, but I also would love to hear other's stories of making their own. Perhaps we can learn from each other (sure this won't be the last time we do a video like this, or even make a (gasp) commercial or something.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Feedback/Discussion of Promo Video(s)

I suddenly feel like Simon Cowell judging you, and my two comments may sound like he's the guy to make them;

-There must be better music to put into the background. I'm not saying it needs to be angry or offensive, but I muted it.

-It looks like it was made in the 1970's.

If I saw this video, I would think it was something that was in a vault and just made it onto Youtube, not that this was an actual current place for me to go exercise.

Here are 2 of ours as examples; both wfs
http://vimeo.com/13471650
http://vimeo.com/20933259

Last edited by Brian Strump : 12-09-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Sean Smith

Profile:

Put more fun into your video. I didn't seem many smiling, happy people. Only serious faces and people going for heavy weights. Get some shots of people high-fiving and congratulating each other after WOD's. If you are trying to sell your gym with this, make it so people think of fun when they watch it.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
I suddenly feel like Simon Cowell judging you, and my two comments may sound like he's the guy to make them;

-There must be better music to put into the background. I'm not saying it needs to be angry or offensive, but I muted it.

-It looks like it was made in the 1970's.

If I saw this video, I would think it was something that was in a vault and just made it onto Youtube, not that this was an actual current place for me to go exercise.

Here are 2 of ours as examples; both wfs
http://vimeo.com/13471650
http://vimeo.com/20933259
Good observations on Jason's video's and thought your promo video's were right on the money.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
Jason M Struck

Profile:

I definitely get what you mean. Lifting heavy is a big part of what we do at our affiliate, so I want to represent that.

Obviously the quality of production on Brian's videos were a little higher, we also host the ones we use for our site etc on Vimeo as well because the quality there is better too.

Good feedback: smiles and high fives. Check.

I wonder, how much active participation others had when they were getting the videos done. My process was kinda like we had the videographer come in and shoot a few times, and then a few weeks later he started to show me a lay out of the video and said 'yes or no'. One of the harder parts seemed to be coordinating the photography with times that I would have classes going. (Downside of trading services)
Old 12-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Jose Sanchez

Profile:

I like the background music, Rancid! I think the movements were a bit slow for the music.