CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:
Question Outdoor pullup bar construction

Time to make an outside pullup bar. I want it to be freestanding in the yard. The bar I have on my squatrack is too low to practice the kip. So my idea is to concrete two treated 4 x 6" timbers and run a 1.25" steel bar b/t them about 8 and a half feet up. I don't want the thing to wobble a lot. Anyone else done something similar?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Tim Nakashima

Profile:
Re: Outdoor pullup bar construction

There was a lot of this type of construction 1-2 years ago. I'm sure you could search around and find the exact thing you're looking to build.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Brian Carver

Profile:

I haven't made one myself, but everywhere that I've read says that it is key to run the pipe through the uprights instead of just attaching it between them--if that helps.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carver View Post
I haven't made one myself, but everywhere that I've read says that it is key to run the pipe through the uprights instead of just attaching it between them--if that helps.
I agree. I was going to run them through the timbers and them secure by driving 60d nails threw them- I'll predrill some holes in the pipe for the nails.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

You can add a third post at a right angle to help stabilize it and place a bar higher to mount rings.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

I built a garden trellis out of treated 4x4s, sunk 2' into concrete footers. There are two 2x8s bolted across the top, on either side of the 4x4s. It wobbles a little.

If I were to build a pullup bar, I'd use bracing at the base.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Willie McLendon

Profile:

I made one about 9 months ago and just expanded/improved upon it last week. It is now 4 sided and I made a few enhancements on the construction to make the mounts stronger yet easier to disassemble. I used 4 2-3/8 x 10' fence posts that are 2' into the ground. When I dug out the holes (2' deep) I cemented in a 2'x2.5" couduit pipe that the fence posts can slide in and out of for easy removal. The pull-up bars are 1"x60" on the front and back, and 1"x48" on the sides. The brackets are a modified fence bracket that has a 1/4"x2" grade 8 bolt supporting below the bar, and a removable 1/4"x2" pin going through the bar on each end. Originally it was just 2 posts with 1 bar, and it held up fine for my 205# frame doing kipping, butterfly, and weighted pull-ups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pull-up Rack.jpg
Views:	16539
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	8148  
Old 07-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie McLendon View Post
I made one about 9 months ago and just expanded/improved upon it last week. It is now 4 sided and I made a few enhancements on the construction to make the mounts stronger yet easier to disassemble. I used 4 2-3/8 x 10' fence posts that are 2' into the ground. When I dug out the holes (2' deep) I cemented in a 2'x2.5" couduit pipe that the fence posts can slide in and out of for easy removal. The pull-up bars are 1"x60" on the front and back, and 1"x48" on the sides. The brackets are a modified fence bracket that has a 1/4"x2" grade 8 bolt supporting below the bar, and a removable 1/4"x2" pin going through the bar on each end. Originally it was just 2 posts with 1 bar, and it held up fine for my 205# frame doing kipping, butterfly, and weighted pull-ups.
I had not considered using steel fence posts, but I might after seeing this. Was it unstable before adding the other sides? Does the post fit snugly into the 2.5" PVC conduit? Or is this metal conduit? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Willie McLendon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anson Castelvecchi View Post
I had not considered using steel fence posts, but I might after seeing this. Was it unstable before adding the other sides? Does the post fit snugly into the 2.5" PVC conduit? Or is this metal conduit? Thanks.
When it was just the two posts I used some tie straps and hooked it to the fence and tightened it down to get rid of the sway. The conduit is not metal, and the posts fit in it pretty snug with only a little play. With the 4 sides it is pretty sturdy. Yesteray I was doing butterfly and kipping pull-ups on it while anothe person was using one of the side bars, and it worked well and was very stable without tying it down or using any additional bracing.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Thayer Morrill

Profile:

Willie, where did you buy the fence post and connectors? I've also scene what looks like hand railing, but I have no idea where you can find it other than on the internet (and the shipping costs make that pretty unattractive).