CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Erin Hightower

Profile:
pull up bars for apartment

So I live in an apartment. There are limited rules on screwing stuff in the walls. Limited Space. Knowing these facts if I want a pull up station... what do you recommend?

What do you use for a setup for pull ups at home?
I added to no door jams thing because the 30 buck put in doorway model do look like they take molding. Can you use it without molding? (I don't have molding)
Old 05-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: pull up bars for apartment

If you are at college.. make friends with someone in auto/metal shop, get them to build you a freestanding pullup station. Should be pretty easy/inexpensive.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

I personally ignored the rules in my apartment and drilled into my ceiling and wall; both of which are concrete.

I don't plan on getting my security deposit back.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
John A. Smith

Profile:

I don't know what molding is. I would recommend Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar Extreme Edition if it can be mounted without molding. I used to have one. Use a ratchet set to assemble the bar because the little tool that comes with it is a piece of garbage. (wfs)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31n70n615ZL.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	7848  
Old 05-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
Erin Hightower

Profile:

Jonathan I'm reaching the point of being about ready to say screw it and screw it in. I've lived here for 5 yrs... not like I expected the deposit anyway

John...molding is the wooden trim around a door way .... I thought all those door jam, no screws, took molding....maybe I'll go ask big 5/sports authority if that'ss true or not
Old 05-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I think you are right that it needs molding. Looking at the picture John provided, the horizontal piece rests on top of molding to help lock it in place.

I wonder if you bought one of the door jam ones and then installed just an inch or two of molding where the door jam pullup bar would lock in. This could then be easily removed and puddied/painted with minimal wear and tear to your apartment.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Hightower View Post
Jonathan I'm reaching the point of being about ready to say screw it and screw it in. I've lived here for 5 yrs... not like I expected the deposit anyway

John...molding is the wooden trim around a door way .... I thought all those door jam, no screws, took molding....maybe I'll go ask big 5/sports authority if that'ss true or not
If you do plan on going that route make sure that you are drilling into studs or something solid. I was fortunate to have concrete.

As far as the door jams go; I used to have one; actually still do, I just don't use it anymore. I do believe that molding is required, because that's where the leverage comes from. Not a physics expert, but it sounds right.

Have you also considered a stand alone system? Something like this: http://trapezerigging.com/FreeStandi...ablePullupBar/ WFS
Old 05-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Erin Hightower

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
If you do plan on going that route make sure that you are drilling into studs or something solid. I was fortunate to have concrete.

As far as the door jams go; I used to have one; actually still do, I just don't use it anymore. I do believe that molding is required, because that's where the leverage comes from. Not a physics expert, but it sounds right.

Have you also considered a stand alone system? Something like this: http://trapezerigging.com/FreeStandi...ablePullupBar/ WFS
Yeah my DH is a construction guy...He'll always make sure it's done right

I like the stand alones... the problem is my apt is small and I really don't have the room.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
Erin Hightower

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I think you are right that it needs molding. Looking at the picture John provided, the horizontal piece rests on top of molding to help lock it in place.

I wonder if you bought one of the door jam ones and then installed just an inch or two of molding where the door jam pullup bar would lock in. This could then be easily removed and puddied/painted with minimal wear and tear to your apartment.
hhmmm not a bad idea...
Old 05-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
John A. Smith

Profile:

OP, if you go the free standing route you may want to checkout Ross Enamait's website and do a search for a less expensive homemade DIY pull-bar or do a Google search for homemade pull-bars.

Edit: I have seen the pull-up bar/dipping station combo for under $200 at Modell's.

Last edited by John A. Smith : 05-21-2011 at 12:05 PM.