CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:34 AM   #1
Brian Strump

Profile:
Noise complaints

So it's taken 10 months, but I finally got my first real complaint after a few warnings for the noise level. Complaints of banging weights, and loud music. They emailed the landlord a 7 minute audio tape with their complaint, which I'll be listening to shortly to see if it's more music, yellings, weights hitting the ground, etc.

Short of moving, what can anyone recommend that's dealt with this problem before? As far as ways to decrease the noise into a neighbors business.

Currently we have nothing besides white boards on the walls, and use 3/4in mats for the flooring.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
Jay Adams

Profile:
Re: Noise complaints

Quote:
Short of moving, what can anyone recommend that's dealt with this problem before? As far as ways to decrease the noise into a neighbors business.
I trained and worked at an affiliate where this happened. There was nothing we could do right. If you got the complaint after warnings you are in a bit of a mess. We had warnings and dropped music volume, added a 2nd layer of flooring and after they kept up we dropped music volume and had a company come in and spray some insulation and use sound baffles and cork to try and help. The complaints kept up and we just moved. Deads hit the floor hard and that noise is jarring. The music volume got so low it sucked to train there and moving was better. I would talk to him and see if it is certain times are better/worse and work something out, but we had no luck.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Dane Thomas

Profile:

First, keep in mind that the primary thing to address is their perceptions, both of the noise and of you and your business. Before you start throwing money into noise control measures put a lot of effort into helping them to see you as being reasonable to work with. If you get on the wrong foot there there may not be enough money in the world to make them happy, but if you play it right it can end up being a lot easier.

There are numerous sources of noise to be controlled, but rather than taking a shotgun approach to address them all simultaneously ask the person in question which of the types of noise they find most disturbing. Let them know that their priorities are of great importance to you, so in order to address them most effectively it is important for you to know how you can best please them, and in which order. If the music is the biggest problem, notch it down a bit, maybe adjust the mounting of the speakers and ask them as soon as you can if the changes that you have made have been positive.

Make sure that they know that you are trying, and take every opportunity you can to actively solicit positive feedback. You want them to see you not as a problem, but as part of the solution.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Anyone have any luck putting something underneath your rubber flooring to dull the noise, and decrease vibration. We already have 3/4in, so instead of replacing with thicker mats, maybe there's something I can put underneath what I currently use?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Chris Walls

Profile:

Brian, I used to be a recording engineer and sound proofing is a nasty under taking. Especially considering the types of things you're trying to isolate from your neighbours are the hardest to isolate. Low frequency, thudding impacts... To treat the floor in such a way as to dampen that you'd wind up with a floor that feels bouncy and you wouldn't want to drop things on it because it's no longer "solid".

I don't think there is an elegant or effective solution for sound proofing a CrossFit gym... at least not in any way that will leave it effective for training the way you want, or appease the neighbours...

I'd look at moving, the cost to try and fail at reaching a solution in the sound proofing department would be better spent on a move/upgrade on the location.

Sorry.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Anyone have any luck putting something underneath your rubber flooring to dull the noise, and decrease vibration. We already have 3/4in, so instead of replacing with thicker mats, maybe there's something I can put underneath what I currently use?
To answer your question the answer is sort of. Essentially you would need to build a whole new subfloor that is not mechanically coupled to the existing floor, and instead floats (by this I mean it is supported on shock absorbers of some kind), this way the impact and vibrations on your actual floor, don't make it to the structure of the building and thus transferred to your neighbours.

Whether or not it will eliminate enough to please the neighbours, or make for a stable enough surface upon which to train I can't say.

Last edited by Chris Walls : 03-17-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
Jim Pascucci

Profile:

I would very interested in what you find when you listen to the audio. In one of my previous careers I was an engineer.
I agree with Dane that your working with the neighbors is really important. We have a similar problem in that our walls are thin--a med ball went through one!
If it's the music, you may be able to re-arrange the speakers. If it's the weights see if you can find when this is. Is it heavy or light weight.
Involving your neighbors in the solution--rather than the problem--is important, but you know this. It may be that the presenting problem is the noise while the real issue is the parking! I never assume that the problem people present me with is the one that they want solved. That's the Rolfer speaking.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Chris Walls

Profile:

That's true about the presented problem not be the actual one. I had someone tell me her computer screen didn't work, get over there to see what the problem was and turns out it was her internet connection that didn't work. Figure that one out!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Maximus Lewin

Profile:

Hi Brian and All,

I have my eye on a new facility with an Architect right next door. Probably a problem, possibly a deal-killer.

One thing I can tell you is that the"High-Temp"brand of plates are substantially quieter than VTX, Kriaburg or other low density plates:

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-bu...by-hi-temp.php WFS

Downside is they bounce. A LOT.

A decibel meter reading of 135 pounds, loaded on a high quality needle-bearing bar and dropped from overhead taken 6 ft away, shows the High-Temp at 90db and the VTX at 94db, over twice as loud (a 3db increase is double).

Put another way, 90 db is a Semi going by and 100 db is a jackhammer.

So high-temp plates will effectively halve your noise output, and since they bounce, the transfer of the "thud" into the floor is much less.

"I ran a 3 minute mile, but it was only 1/2 a mile" - Coach on range of motion