CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-14-2003, 01:28 PM   #1
wells

Profile:  
I was thinking about this the other day and decided to ask: wouldn't lifting in my running shoes be bad for the overall movement? You're heels are raised more than they would naturally, and you are supposed to push through your heels with most movements to recruite the muscles in the proper way.

I'm pretty sure I read a while back that powerlifters wear special shoes for deadlifting and for squatting, so would a cheap pair of wrestling shoes be better for those excercises than running shoes? The downside with wrestling shoes is that they don't have much support for when you are doing 400m runs between sets. Any suggestions on good footwear would be appreciated. Right now I just wear a pair of New balances and my orthotics(not sure if I really need them, but evidently if your arches aren't strong/large your whole body is weaker and more susceptible to injury, and I have pretty flat arches).
Old 11-14-2003, 02:05 PM   #2
Kelly Moore

Profile:
wells,

I have the same problem. I get injured deadlifting/squatting in my running shoes. These shoes are almost 1 1/4" thick at the heel with a strong taper to virtually nothing at the other end. My weight rocks forward onto my toes when lifting in these shoes.

For WODs that call for running/deadlifting, I do the old "shoes on-shoes off" routine. Running leaves me dying for air so the break to take care of footwear is something that would happen anyway.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:16 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Running shoes are horrible for squatting. The way the toe curves up is especially bad, as it reduces stability. The gel soles don't help, either. They make it hard to 'feel' the ground.

The extra heel height is not a big problem, though. It's the 'squishyness' of the running shoe heel that's a problem. My Adidas weightlifting shoes have about the same heel height as many running shoes, but it's a hard heel. I would not run in my weightlifting shoes, though.

Skater shoes are good for squatting, as are indoor soccer shoes. Hiking boots aren't too bad either. Converse Chuck Taylors are very popular squatting shoes.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:30 PM   #4
Mike Minium

Profile:
I wear Chuck Taylor lowtops for all of the WODs and have no problems with deadlifting or squatting, as Lincoln indicates. I also have no problems whatsoever with running in them. So for me, they're the ultimate WOD shoe.

They have a nice, flat sole.

Mike
Old 11-14-2003, 07:25 PM   #5
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I use wrestling shoes and don't have any problems. However, I think that Chuck Taylors are the best way to go.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:20 AM   #6
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I also use Chuck Taylors for lifting...but running? I tried it a couple of times and felt like I was really going to do a number on my knees.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:14 AM   #7
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Like Lincoln metnioned, running shoes are horrible for squatting. Not only that, but some people argue that they are horrible for running to. More details can be found at http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/817.html and/or http://www.runningbarefoot.org/Why.html. You don't hear about this a lot, but who gets rich telling you NOT to buy something. Wrestling shoes, Chucks, Tevas and aquasocks might make for a happy medium.

-Ryan
Old 11-15-2003, 06:49 AM   #8
Scott Parker

Profile:
in regards to the running barefoot article, the owner of the climbing shop i used to work at out in boulder, colorado never wore shoes - even in the winter. he would also shovel his driveway barefoot in the winter! but this is the same person who i never saw drink water because he thought you could train your body to become acustomed to being dehydrated! he did this because, as a climber the heaviest thing you have to carry is water. whatever!

scott
Old 11-16-2003, 05:01 PM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
If I can I train barefoot or in wrestling shoes.