CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-02-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Giles Clarke

Profile:
I am brand new to CrossFit, but am coming from a heavy triathlon background. With the variety of disciplines incorporated in these workouts what is the best type of shoe to be wearing? I am currently just wearing my old and beaten aesics running shoes, but I have read that running shoes do not give the appropriate support or alignment for activities such as squats or cleans.
There are so many different types of cross-trainers out there I don't know what to get. None of the stores I have gone to have been any real help and have just tried to sell me the most expensive thing on the shelves.
What is the best all-round shoe for this program? Thanks.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Anything without a run in it is up to you for what you feel comfortable in. But you are correct about your running shoes being inadequate. Cheap is the way to go here and one of the best things going is Chuck Taylors high tops by Converse. Very popular shoe in this crowd. Not very good for running but perfect for your CrossFit workouts.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
Travis Loest

Profile:
Giles,
I've found that for short distances run WOD, that I can get away with the addidas samba's, they're pretty good for lifting, with a fairly flat sole and all, but are more comfortable to run in. I don't use them for anything other than 400m runs, Now that I'm working out in my garage I will probably do my longer runs in "proper" running shoes and just kick them off when I have to lift.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
Jeff Dale

Profile:
+1 for Sambas and lifting. They keep my heels low and offer great support. They are a classic indoor soccer shoe but work well for many activities and are a great everyday shoe too. You can find them around $50.

Safe link for Samba shoe reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/adidas-Adidas-.../dp/B0002MOXFO
Old 01-03-2007, 01:48 AM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Equipment. There have been several footwear discussions, so give the search function a try as well.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:14 AM   #6
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Addidas Superstar 2's

I've run a sub 19:00 minute 5km in them and wasn't much worse for wear. Good for lifting and I'd say better than the Chuck Taylor's I have some Chuck's too but like the Addidas much better. They even look cool if that is a factor.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:16 AM   #7
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
I think indoor socccer shoes are the way to go.

I bought some indoor soccer shoes yesterday. It was Krista's (my wife) idea. She bought some as well. The ones we got were the Nike Air Tiempo Mystic IC Plus. They were very similar to the Addidas mentioned above, but fit our narrow feet a little better. The forefoot is flexible enough that they work great for running, but the heal is is hard enough that they feel really good squating as well. They are also very light weight.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:27 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I've got Nike Frees crosstraining...they work great. Got to get the Samba's though...equipment purchase disorder.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
Mike Neill

Profile:
I wear Chucks but someday when I am a grown-up XFer I will go into the woods and kill a bear with my bare hands, then make workout shoes out of his paws.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #10
Steven Becker

Profile:
What about barefoot for most wod's? Of course shoes for the run but coming from a martial arts background I started working most wod's barefoot and never thought about it