CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-07-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
Jeff Padgett

Profile:  
I'm curious if anyone is doing WOD without doing the ZONE diet. If you are can I get some insight into your results. Has anyone done Zone and quit or switched to Zone and gotten better results? if you got better results with ZONE how were you eating before.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:12 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I'm doing the Zone or any diet for that matter. I enjoy eating and don't want to make it a chore by having to watch/count everything that goes in my mouth.

Actually it's the other way around for me. I do the WOD and OL so I can eat burgers and fries, pizza and ice cream and NOT have to worry about what I look like or my weight (except when trying to make a weight class)

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones?! :proud:
Old 04-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #3
Grady McDonald

Profile:
My diet before zone was don't eat fast food, no soda, little sweets.

Zoning.....gotta try it. The bottom line is this: **** in, **** out.

If you care about your performance, longevity, recovery, you will diet. No matter how good or how satisfied you are with your perf, if you pull your diet together it will blow your mind, watermelon style. It is not that difficult. I had never been on a diet before in my life and after the last seminar I said "F**k it, I'm doin' it" I've strayed (gotta have cheat days) but have seen great improvement in my numbers (Lost 6 lbs and PR's in everything) I weigh and measure from the CFJ #21. That's it, I know that is what I'm capable of maintaining, so far it's working. The journal breaks it down so you can have a meal like 5 oz of ham, 5 macadamia nuts, a beer and 4oz of ice cream and still be legal (5 block meal)

Old 04-07-2005, 11:02 PM   #4
Karl Steadman

Profile:
Jeff,

I've been doing the WOD's for about 4 months now and i'm not on the Zone. What i've noticed is that those on the Zone take less recovery and feel less lethargic when training. This, as opposed to other benefits, is what interests me the most!

Gotta get my butt in gear and get on the Zone because i can't have a certain David Easton keep kicking my posterior on the WOD!

Men will die for points???? HELL YES!
Old 04-07-2005, 11:50 PM   #5
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:
I'm not on the Zone and have been doing CF for about 3-4 weeks now. Its more because of difficulty of eating at a chow hall every day than not wanting to. I feel I make good choices in my meals and splurge every once in a while.
well, may more often than that...:blush:
Old 04-08-2005, 05:07 AM   #6
Kristi Lees

Profile:

I have always been on some kinda health kick or another. I am not doing zone but have adopted a Paleo style diet the last few days which seems to be going well. www.thepaleodiet.com www.paleodiet.com

I have an obsessive personality at times and I know it would be too easy for me to get carried away counting blocks! LOL :crazy:

I usually follow 'guidelines' but try not to have a set pattern/routine.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:40 AM   #7
Brian Gibson

Profile:
I am not on the zone diet and I have been doing the WOD for the past 5 months. I eat "clean", but I am not on the zone. I feel my recovery is good and my results keep getting better, but I believe if I were to get on the zone, I would probably see some more improvements.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:14 AM   #8
Ted Williams

Profile:
Not on the zone, but my diet probably resembles a paleo type...I usually stay off coffee as well, which is from when my wife and I tried the perricone diet. I actually lost quite a bit of weight (for me, I didn't have much to lose, though I still have some on my stomach that won't go away...grrr) by going on the perricone and stopping coffee.

I am somewhat opposed to the idea of a "diet"...it has too many negatives implied. I eat well, and draw the line there.

Ted
Old 04-08-2005, 07:46 AM   #9
Eric Keller

Profile:

I started off on CrossFit without the Zone and got on the bandwagon after about 6 months. I have been on the Zone for about 2 months.

Prior to the Zone, I ate pretty "well" according to the high-carb USDA conventional wisdom and cut out Coca-Cola cold turkey. Just doing that improved my performance and my overall feeling of being healthy.

On the Zone it took me about a month of tweaking to get feeling really good. I figured my blocks using the following calculator (http://www.zoneperfect.com/site/content/calculator.asp), plugging in "active," then adding a block. I lost 15# of fat and water weight and am down to 7% BF so I'm doubling my fat blocks.

Long post, but here's the point: for those not on the Zone but convinced you are eating "well," ask yourself where your definition of "well" comes from. I'm not saying the Zone is the be all, end all of nutrition (I'm not even completely sold yet, but I'll give it a few more months), but it seems to work for the vast majority of people who are serious about real fitness (i.e. CrossFit-ers). There's nothing to lose by giving it a shot (except the cost of buying healthy food http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/9071.html).
Old 04-08-2005, 07:51 AM   #10
John Phipps

Profile:
I guess I am on the "pseudo zone".

I been to the zone websites and got a list of the preferred zone foods and the zone food pyramid. I try to eat the foods on the preferred lists. I do drink lots of water, 2 liters or more, plus milk in the morning and night. I try to eat every 2 or 3 hours through out the day. I divide my plate into thirds for the meat, vegetables and some rice or potatoes but I think I eat more meat than recommended.

For snacks I like to eat trail mix with an extra bag of almonds mixed in. I won't just eat 9 or 10 almonds it is more like 20 or more plus peanuts, filberts, walnuts and raisins. I have been cutting down on processed foods but I do eat whole wheat bread and rolled oats.

I eat fast food every so often like burgers, pizza or taco bell. My big weakness is milk and cookies, just 1 or 2 cookies or ice cream milk shakes. :blush:

I have been feeling good and completing the WOD as directed on most days. My weights and times are not as good as some but better than others. I take vitamins, minerals, fish oil, protein powder and I love caffeine. I take a 200mg caffeine pill in the morning and after lunch and drink a cup or two of real coffee at work.