CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Brian Cerasuolo

Profile:
Small guy with no comparison or something

Hello, I'm just posting to maybe find a comparison and maybe some kind of reference point for myself.

I can't find anyone around my size that is involved in enough physical activity to compare myself too really, and I've tried searching around, but I guess it makes sense that there aren't many small men spending their time on the internet bragging about how much they lift.

Anyways, I'm 5'4 and about 125lbs, 20 years old and I was just curious if there was anyone out there around this same size.

My lifts are

Bench: 170
Squat: 265
Deadlift: 285 (i think this is a mental/grip issue more than strength)
Press: 115 (idk if it's normal for this to be so low, but from what i can gather from bigger people, it kind of is)

Anyways, another thing I was wondering, was if there was some kind of chart I could find of a realistic height to weight ratio that is reasonable to achieve. I've never really tried to pack on weight, I've always just stayed lean, but I think I actually would like to gain a substantial amount of weight now. I know I'm only 20, but I'm definitely not completely new to lifting but I don't know what a good total goal would be to shoot for weight wise for my height. I know this weight can't come fast, and I'm okay with slow gains and understand that's pretty much the only way, but I just can't think of what a max realistic weight would be. So a chart or some kind of graph would be helpful, or people's opinions, but I just can't see like a 5'4" man weighing 200lbs and having a low bodyfat percentage. It doesn't seem reasonable.

Maybe like 160 or 170 as the high end?

Thanks for any help, just getting some thoughts out there on some info I haven't been able to find as a long time lurker.

Last edited by Brian Cerasuolo; 08-01-2012 at 08:34 AM..
Old 08-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Michael Loucas

Profile:
Re: Small guy with no comparison or something

I think Jim Wendler suggests 3 lbs per inch of bodyweight as a good rule of thumb, so about 192 would probably be a good weight if you want to be really strong. Then a bodyweight press, 1.5 bodyweight bench, 2x bodyweight squat, and a 2.5 bodyweight deadlift would be good numbers to go for once you're that heavy. You're almost at those numbers now, so it should be able to at least maintain those ratios if not exceed them as you get bigger.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Perry Eubank

Profile:

Wow, I think 3lb per inch is pretty unrealistic for me, that would be 219lb. I'm 6'1" (73") and just 145lb now (too skinny, but plenty tall.)

Now that said, I'd love to be 190. I know this sounds cheesy, but I remember reading back when Batman Begins came out, that Christian Bale was my same height and was 190lbs during filming. His physique was what I would liked to have achieved. Not sure if I can get there, but it's a goal
So, that comes to 2.6lb per inch for me.

Log (WFS)
Old 08-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

The NBC Olympics site has height and weight for all the athletes at the Games.

The 5'4" weightlifters are all quite a bit heavier than you. The 62 kg (137#) class seems to be mostly in the 5'2"-5'3" range. So 190# might be a bit excessive, but you certainly want to be somewhere in the 140-160 neighborhood.

Note also that olympic weightlifting and powerlifting tend to favor different body types and distribute muscle in different ways. So it would be a good idea to think about where you want those 20+ pounds to go, and what kind of programming would give you that.

Katherine
Old 08-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Eubank View Post
Wow, I think 3lb per inch is pretty unrealistic for me, that would be 219lb. I'm 6'1" (73") and just 145lb now (too skinny, but plenty tall.)

Now that said, I'd love to be 190. I know this sounds cheesy, but I remember reading back when Batman Begins came out, that Christian Bale was my same height and was 190lbs during filming. His physique was what I would liked to have achieved. Not sure if I can get there, but it's a goal
So, that comes to 2.6lb per inch for me.
Also of note. In 2004 The Machinist came out with Christian Bale. His normal weight was about 185. When The Machinist finished shooting, he weighed 121 lbs. He had to weigh 121 for that role. Over the 5 months before Batman Begins began shooting, he got up to about 220. Right before it began he dropped down to a muscular 190 lbs.

Last edited by Michael Loucas; 08-01-2012 at 10:57 AM..
Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I agree with Katherine

Where do you want this muscle located?

Lift accordingly. Just don't be the chicken leg guy with the 400lb bench....

Plan for what your weight goals are and lift for those... Eat right, lift heavy and muscle will come.

I would also start doing some gymnastic work (look at Steven low and his book) to add some good body weight str and muscle as well as flexibility. If you do it now while lighter it will be easier than when you are heavier and untrained.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

I think the 3 lb/inch rule is too broad. It doesn't take people's frames into account. At 5'11, 176, I'm fairly muscular with a lean frame, but still have some decent lifts. Power clean 215, deadlift 430, etc. But my frame is not meant to carry 215 pounds. I'd just look unnatural and lose a ton of mobility.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Donald Lee

Profile:

Try out this maximum muscular potential calculator by Casey Butt:

http://www.weightrainer.net/bodypred.html (WFS)

Regarding strength numbers, there are a lot of charts to look at to get an idea of where you are at (all WFS):

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm

http://reactivetrainingsystems.com/a...fication-chart

http://www.rawpowerlifting.com/classifications.htm

Keep in mind that the Russian chart is biased towards competitive powerlifters on drugs.

Last edited by Donald Lee; 08-01-2012 at 12:50 PM..
Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Brian Cerasuolo

Profile:

Wow there are a lot of good replies here, so thank you!

I think my lifestyle has always catered to having more focus on lower body naturally, not taking into account what I do in the gym.

I have tried both oly and powerlifting, and I think I much prefer powerlifting, so that's what I will stick to, but it also supports balancing me out anyways.

That body mass calculator is very interesting. I have quite small ankles and writs, and almost 8 inches and 6 inches respectively and it says I would make a lean 160lbs, which sounds pretty reasonable actually, considering that would mean a 35lb increase in muscle mass still keeping a 10% bodyfat percentage.

Thanks for that gymnastics recommendation, I definitely have been meaning to get into gymnastics ever since I learned about CF. Being small, and relatively strong, I've always felt I've excelled at body weight movements and I'd like to keep that strength so I'm definitely looking into steve low.

Also, according to some of those charts, I seem to be in the advanced section for a lot of the lower body movement lifts, which is surprising and gratifying for me. I guess I've always felt I don't lift very much weight because of my small stature, but I guess it just comes with the territory.

Thanks a lot for all the information so far, it's very helpful. Glad this community is so well off.

Last edited by Brian Cerasuolo; 08-01-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Donald, that was a pretty cool link. Fun to play with. I'm nearly at some of the max limits according to my specs but I need more swole biceps. Working on it with DB assistance stuff a few days a week. Rows and 1 arm presses. I mainly due the rows for shoulder and elbow health and I can't get myself to curl.

Brian, right now I'm 5'1 (barely) and about 165-170. I could possibly get close enough to 152 to compete @ 69kg I figure, especially with a hydration fast and I still have some fat to lose. Maybe around 15% to just under, dunno. Basically I have a big *** and thighs from squats and probably genetic disposition to my dad's and mom's genes (who are both pretty short but do have some genetic anomalies in their family from 5'9 to 6' so it's probably a mix of diet and genes).

According to the measurement test on that site, I'm 21.2% BF. Sounds a bit high but maybe I am and calipers or a hydrostatic would be more telling. I could definitely get down to 152's then which makes sense since I wrestled@under 145 and was just under 150 during T&F and college while I lifted.

Your lifts are decent, just low on the numbers because you weigh a $1.25. I weighed around that before I seriously touched a barbell and was just doing BW stuff for the most part in karate and as a sprinter (a slow one).

Last edited by Blair Robert Lowe; 08-01-2012 at 01:43 PM..