CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
Lindy Hruska

Profile:
Rogue Dog Sled, Sorinex Root Hog, or Prowler?

I have been searching the forums/internet for answers to these questions, and am coming up short...

I have recently used a Prowler 2 (indoors only), and really loved/hated it. I wanted something smaller for my home gym, and started doing some research. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be many detailed reviews out there in cyberspace!

Does anyone have experience with how noisy/loud the Sorinex Root Hog is compared to the Dog Sled or Prowler?
I did see one brief review on the Rogue website mention that the Dog Sled might be more quiet than the butcher/prowler- this is an important piece of my decision to purchase, since I'll be using it on the street in front of my house...

I like the idea behind the Root Hog- I just think it might be very very loud-

Also, anyone with any experience with the Dog sled compared to the prowler on grass? I read one thread that stated Rogue did not recommend using the dog sled on grass, and then I emailed them and they said grass was fine- dunno.

If anyone has any insight, it would be mucho appreciated!
Old 12-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Rogue Dog Sled, Sorinex Root Hog, or Prowler?

When do you train? I use my prowler in my asphault drive all the time. It's not killer loud, no one has complained.

I'm amazed you are worried about the sound (its nice of you), but I can't imagine it is louder than a lawn mower or when someone is doing construction. Do you tell people not to mow their lawns or tell big trucks not to drive by?

Root Hog looks cool but it doesn't seem to be the best buy for its value. I have an econo prowler and its been great.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

I work out between 430-6am. Thus the question about noise... although it seems that these workouts may have to be done at a more reasonable hour unless I use the grass.

Lisa Ray briefly mentioned that the Rogue Dogsleds were more quiet than the prowler in a recent CFJ video. Another review of a CFF prowler noted it was very loud on asphalt.

It seemed reasonable to try and fine tune the small details and get more information before making a purchase. Thanks for your input and advice...
Old 12-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Craig Takahiro Descoteaux

Profile:

i have a dog sled and you must have the ski's to make it slide on any surface.

i love it. i can push low/high, pull, harness it, attach the landmine to it

and its easier to store than a odd "t" shaped prowler

hope this helps
Old 12-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

Thanks for the advice! Apparently the plastic skis are much more quiet for pushing on asphalt- so the dog sled wins!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Corey Clark

Profile:

If sound is a concern, I would suggest a tire sled. Its cheap and quiet.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._your_own_sled wfs
Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Jeremy Lee

Profile:

I have a Root Hog and it is very well made. It would be great for using it on grass since it has the greater surface area. I like the different attachments and the fact you do not have to turn it around since you can pull or push from both sides and it is a quick transition. It does not seem loud, but I typically use heavy weight, so I am not running with it.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

The new Econ Prowlers come with the hard plastic skies that bolt on. This means they are replaceable if you ware them out.

EliteETF has not updated the pictures on the website. You can see them in the video talking about the updates. This is why I just ordered two of them. They also have the low handle on the front that the Dog Sled doesn't have.

I own an affiliate so my equipment gets used a lot. Durability and being able to replace ware items is important to me.

Econo Prowlers are currently on sale $250.00 + shipping.

Root Hog looks interesting. If the feature work correctly then they are good. I like the quick turnaround. It has no replaceable skies so I don't know how long it would take to ware out. Probably a long time at a home gym.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

I ended up ordering a Prowler 2 with the drive pad and reverse push handles, and the plastic skis. I also ordered a sheet of 1" thick UHMW plastic on Amazon that I can make replacement skis out of if needed-

I've never been scared to order a piece of equipment before, but I definitely have some fear of the Prowler flu... I've used one at a gym recently, and it was almost the worst thing I've ever done. I can't wait!