CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Jason Martin

Profile:
Back Squat Check

Sorry for:
A: The shirt with out sleeves (I know it looks silly)

B:Any issue with camera angle that makes checking form more difficult.

Never been coached on this one, so any tips or pointers would be helpful. Please don't hold back on criticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL8sAwjZDB8

Work and family safe.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Neil Kanterman

Profile:
Re: Back Squat Check

I'm certainly no expert, and I can't see your hand placement from that angle, but I would like to see your elbows pointed down at the floor rather than behind you.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Martin View Post
Sorry for:
A: The shirt with out sleeves (I know it looks silly)

B:Any issue with camera angle that makes checking form more difficult.

Never been coached on this one, so any tips or pointers would be helpful. Please don't hold back on criticism.
Need to see more than one rep. Preferably two sets of five, one filmed from the side (where we can also see your feet), and one filmed from the back (where we can also see your feet and the bar placement).

Even without having that, STOP ALL THE WIGGLING. Just stop moving. Take a huge breath. Rack the bar on your back without wiggling. Step back without wiggling. Take a huge deep breath without wiggling. And, then squat. You should be tight from the moment you put the bar on your back to the moment you put it back on the rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Kanterman View Post
I'm certainly no expert, and I can't see your hand placement from that angle, but I would like to see your elbows pointed down at the floor rather than behind you.
Not if he is low bar squatting. If he is low bar squatting, then his elbows need to be high and behind him in order to rack the bar on his back correctly and prevent it from sliding down.

So, OP, I do want to see your bar placement. But, are you low bar or high bar squatting? Because it is hard to tell from your body angles and you are very loose in your squat, and I suspect that you don't have the bar in the correct position for either a low bar or high bar squat.

Last edited by Tamara Cohen; 02-09-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Not if he is low bar squatting. If he is low bar squatting, then his elbows need to be high and behind him in order to rack the bar on his back correctly and prevent it from sliding down.
Not correct. I agree with everything else. http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2010/02/...squatting.html (wfs)
Old 02-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Bachmann View Post
Not correct. I agree with everything else. http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2010/02/...squatting.html (wfs)
I coach low bar squats using the Starting Strength method. So, yes, I'm correct if that's the way I'm coaching them. I disagree with your interpretation of elbow position in your post in regards to the SS method. And, I don't agree that a high elbow position results in poor hand position or holding the bar with your arms. A thumbless grip and paying attention proper wrist position solves those problems. I see plenty of crappy wrist positions on high bar squats with elbows down also. I realize that not everyone coaches low bar squats the same way that Rip does, but that's how I do it.

Last edited by Tamara Cohen; 02-09-2011 at 04:21 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

Admittedly, I don't coach by the "SS method", but, IMHO, squatting technique is pretty orthodox, despite what some people believe. Not a whole lot of variance really once the bar gets heavy.

I don't view the elbows as "high" in this video (wfs) - if you do, well, then I guess we are at an impasse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKEl4Wxoqc
Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Admittedly, I don't coach by the "SS method", but, IMHO, squatting technique is pretty orthodox, despite what some people believe. Not a whole lot of variance really once the bar gets heavy.

I don't view the elbows as "high" in this video (wfs) - if you do, well, then I guess we are at an impasse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKEl4Wxoqc
To be fair Rip's elbows are not directly under the bar, or pointing straight down, and he has had multiple shoulder surgeries and is probably not the best demonstration of perfect form....

either way the OPs elbow position looks fine (about the same as the pic in that article linked above) and thus should not be pointed down further anyways.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:

But, what squatting techniques are you comparing? I think there is a lot of variance. Rip teaches the low bar squat quite differently from how some people do. How a powerlifter squats is quite different from how weightlifters squat. How someone who is using SS for general strength squats is quite different from how someone who is squatting in competition squats.

As far as elbow position is concerned, my elbow position on my low bar squat is completely different from my elbow position on my high bar squat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
To be fair Rip's elbows are not directly under the bar, or pointing straight down, and he has had multiple shoulder surgeries and is probably not the best demonstration of perfect form....

either way the OPs elbow position looks fine (about the same as the pic in that article linked above) and thus should not be pointed down further anyways.
I was going to make this point about Rip also, and I agree that his elbows are not pointed down anyway.

Grip width also influences where your elbows will be. I am able to use a much narrower grip when I low bar squat than some people. Shoulder flexibility, history of injury, and "comfort" all play a role in how wide your grip will be and, therefore, where your elbows will be.

And, yes, I thought the OP's elbow position looked perfectly fine from the limited information available from that video.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
Beau Bryant

Profile:

I'm not even certain the OP has said anything about LBBS but if he is I am more concerned about his knees sliding forward at this point than his elbows. And I agree we would need to see a couple more reps have a useful discussion since I'm certain my knee will slide forward on an occasional rep here and there.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
But, what squatting techniques are you comparing? I think there is a lot of variance. Rip teaches the low bar squat quite differently from how some people do. How a powerlifter squats is quite different from how weightlifters squat. How someone who is using SS for general strength squats is quite different from how someone who is squatting in competition squats.
Different bar position, stance, and depth require different body positions, but technique is essentially the same. I've actually had a conversation with Rip about technique and (I believe) that he would agree that there is not much discussion to be had on "style" when it comes to squatting technique - it is pretty cut and dry.

Quote:
As far as elbow position is concerned, my elbow position on my low bar squat is completely different from my elbow position on my high bar squat.
I was going to make this point about Rip also, and I agree that his elbows are not pointed down anyway.
His elbows and upper arm are flush with his body as he engages the lats and descends into the hole. With a high bar squat, this action is going to be more pronounced.

Quote:
Grip width also influences where your elbows will be. I am able to use a much narrower grip when I low bar squat than some people. Shoulder flexibility, history of injury, and "comfort" all play a role in how wide your grip will be and, therefore, where your elbows will be.
Of course.