CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
Colin McLafferty

Profile:
Squat and DL Check

Hey all,

Below are videos of me squatting 245# 3x5 and deadlifting 300# 1x5. My 5rm DL is 320# and I'm currently in the first two weeks of a SS cycle so that's why Im DLing less. My goal is to get a double BW deadlift.

On the deadlifts, I believe this was a really bad day form wise. I have been working on not shooting my hips up like in the video, but unfortunately I did it in the video. Comments on every fault you see and what you would recommend I do to fix it are requested.

On my previous set of DLs, I made sure to put my shoulder in front of the bar and that seemed to help me keep my body moving like a hinge in one fluid motion rather than shooting my hips up. Have you seen this as a good (partial) solution to that problem before?

1st set 3x5 Squat 245# http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktgzLP9XQh8 WFS

2nd set 3x5 Squat 245# http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrR5MO6tmtQ WFS

3rd set video is giving youtube some problems, so Ill upload if and when possible.

1x5 Deadlift 300#: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBCGnf5BdWw WFS
Old 01-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: Squat and DL Check

Squats: you are getting way lower than you need to. You could cut your depth 3-4 inches higher at just below parallel and have a lot easier time with that weight. I would recommend buy/wearing some lifting shoes on these also. Don't need them for the DL, but would help your squats IMO.

DL: look pretty reasonable to me.

In general you also look as if you could gain 30-40lbs so eating more would be a major recommendation from me.

what are your specific goals?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Robert,

First off I want to thank you. You always comment on my form checks and I really appreciate your input.

I thought I was going too deep but was afraid that Rip might kill kittens. I feel like going that low takes away my hamstring bounce. Could that be possible or am I imagining things / simply not firing the bounce correctly?

My specific goals are:

-Double bodyweight deadlift (bw is 176# so 355# would be it w/o 1# plates. Current 1x5 320#)
-Break 280# for 5RM on my squat. I got 265 before but it was ugly. (current 3x5 245#)
-BW press would be nice, but really I just want to improve my press strength beyond where it is now (1x5 135#)

After this strength cycle, I will most likely go back to CFFB programming and then transition into mainpage.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

You are doing a fine job getting a rebound on your squats, you are just getting so low with such a huge range of motion that the rebound will only help so much. Try to work on getting your depth to just bellow parallel. It may need a small reset, but nothing major, and once you get the hang of it you should be able to increase your numbers from there more easily.

So you are not competing in Olympic lifting or anything? If that was the case I would understand the super deep squats, but other than that I would try to cut depth off a bit.

Also along those lines I think you will see better progress and hit your strength goals by gaining some weight. I understand this changes your %BW numbers, but honestly I think you will find just getting strong is more important, especially when you are young. Unless you have a sport or some other reason for staying under a certain bodyweight I would go for a big gain. Try to get to 200lbs and see what happens with your lifts.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Agree with Robert that you could cut some depth on your squats, but otherwise, I don't see any huge problems with them. Solid work. Just focus on driving out of the hole with your @ss and not your chest if you hit that sticking point.

Also, what is your deadlift setup like? Are you using Rip's setup? I'd like to see you how you approach the bar. I ask because your hips look really low, and that is probably some of the reason your hips are rising before your chest.

And, yeah...on the weight gain...
Old 01-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Tamara, I'll have another video up tomorrow of a set at 310# I did just an hour ago.

For warm ups, I do 5x bar only, 5x 50%, 2-3 x 70% and then I go into my work set. I use the mixed grip on work sets.

I am 176# the last I checked. I am eating more than 4000 calories probably 2 days out of the week and the rest is 4000 calories. I've been trying to eat more and have resorted to grains and carbs (pizza, bagel, burger, pb sandwich) at times to get calories past the 4000 mark. With the trouble I have with weight gain, I do not wish to gain 40#. I don't care about gaining weight, I just think 40# would be overkill and my body would be trashed. I've been doing strength stuff (factory milk, 4000+ calories, short CFFB metcons only) for about two years now and I think extending it to get a 40# weight gain would be detrimental to my health.

I'm not saying you all are crazy, and I know that if I work hard I can gain weight. I just don't see myself actually making an effort to put 40# more on the scale.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
For warm ups, I do 5x bar only, 5x 50%, 2-3 x 70% and then I go into my work set. I use the mixed grip on work sets.

I'm not saying you all are crazy, and I know that if I work hard I can gain weight. I just don't see myself actually making an effort to put 40# more on the scale.
What I want to see is actually how you approach the bar and set your grip. Rip's set up is going to have almost everyone's hips in a higher position than what they would automatically and comfortably set themselves into. It is dictated solely by geometry and not by what feels good. I would also say to try pulling with a hook grip instead of a mixed grip for worksets.

I don't think you have to put on 40 lbs, but even 10 lbs might make a difference if your lifts have stalled. It depends on what your goals are. And, I understand the difficultly in gaining weight. The only way I put on any weight was by completely cutting out any and all conditioning.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Sorry I wasn't able to post the video, I unexpectedly had no access to internet. I will post tomorrow or Friday with a video of my DL set up and my new and improved not-so-low squats.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Beau Bryant

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
I thought I was going too deep but was afraid that Rip might kill kittens. I feel like going that low takes away my hamstring bounce. Could that be possible or am I imagining things / simply not firing the bounce correctly?
You are correct and you are not imagining things. There is a point on descent when hamstrings will be at the tightest point. Usually somewhere just below parallel. There is another point that when passed the hamstrings will lose tightness and you will not experience any "bounce" from them, if that's what you want to call it.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Beau,

Rip refers to it as a "bounce," is there a real term for it aside from a stretching of the hamstrings? When going into the descent, I always try to think "up" the whole time as that helps use the bounce more correctly according to SS. I've been keeping my chest up, but when I go too low I definitely collapse. I've been doing pvc goodmornings and basic hip, hamstring, and glute mobility to try to solve this as well as weighted back extensions.