CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Luke Lehman

Profile:
Squating for the First Time

Hey Everyone. This is my first attempt at squating. I've done a couple workouts with the Smith machine about 6 months ago, but this the first attempts at free back squat. I've been reading SS and trying to watch videos online of proper form.

Here are my novice thoughts:
  • I don't know if the back rounding at the bottom is an issue or not.
  • I do notice though that I think I allow the weight to shift a little forward, which causes the knees to go a bit forward.

I've included the video of the Bench, just for giggles. I suppose it could be bad form...

In any case - thanks for checking the vids out.

WarmUp: Air and Bar (WFS)
WarmUp: 95x5 & 115x5 (WFS)
WorkSet: 135x5x3 (WFS)

Bench WorkSet: 185x5x3 (WFS) (only 2 sets in the video)
Old 01-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Squating for the First Time

Why aren't you squatting in your rack? Is it just for the camera? When the weight starts getting up there, I think using the rack and not walking around with the weight will be key. As you get closer to your limit strenght, you'll just want to take 1 step per foot out of the rack then squat.

In my mind, your rounding of the lower back isn't the worst. Start working on mobility/flexibility everyday focusing on the hammies/glutes/low back/calves. If you watch TV, its a perfect time to stretch. Also, for the rounding focus on the sense of an arch in your lowerback, doesn't have to be extreme.

On the free squats/air squats make sure you keep your chest up which will help keep the spine neutral.

With the weighted squats, I think you could benefit by thinking of starting the squat by sitting back first instead of down when breaking the hips. This should help keep your weight on the mid or back of your foot instead of tipping forward. Also, whenever you squat make sure you push your knees out on the way down and up, this will help open up your pelvis you can go deeper without rounding your back and will help use the glute muscles to squat instead of just the quads.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Luke Lehman

Profile:

Thanks for the input. I am working to increase flexibility in the hips / hammies / etc.

I don't plan on moving around with more weight. I also plan on building a new rack or building rack stands. This is just what I have now. I also moved over in front of the camera because I didn't know what my squat looked like and I wanted to make sure it wasn't god-awful form wise. I'm pretty pleased with the way it looks, but maybe I just expected it to be worse, or not as deep.

Thanks - more feedback welcome!!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

I'd like to see one set from the side and one set from the back where I can see your feet and stance.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Luke Lehman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I'd like to see one set from the side and one set from the back where I can see your feet and stance.
You got it. I'll capture that tonight and post the vids.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
Luke Lehman

Profile:

Here are the videos. A couple things in advance:

1. Sorry for the gut shots (more motivation for me...)
2. Sorry for the wedgies...
3. My back sucked on the DL - I think I was gassed from doing squats beforehand - so I'll back down the weight. I also think this is due to lack of hamstring mobility...still need to work on that.
4. About the bar position on my back - I know it's not super-clear in some of the vids, but i don't feel like I can go much lower (at least yet) - is it low enough?
5. Thanks for taking the time!

All links WFS (shirtless, gut, wedgie, etc):

Squat - Warm-Up - SIDE Angle
Squat - Warm-Up Front Angle

Squat - Work Set #1 - Back Angle
Squat - Work Set #2 - Side Angle
Squat - Work Set #3 - Side/Back Angle

-----------

Press - WS #1 - I haven't read much into the Press, but wasn't sure how badly it could be screwed up. I'm more concerned with my Squat / DL form, but if you feel the need to watch this, I appreciate that, too.

-----------

Thanks everyone for the feedback !!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Luke, in general I think you're doing great for a newbie. Keep up the good work. I will leave more specific comments for the better coaches on here.

I also wanted to point out to you that Ripp has a forum which you can't link to here b/c it's censored, but you should find it and read that daily. You can post a video there too, or just learn from the others that post videos.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Luke Lehman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Luke, in general I think you're doing great for a newbie. Keep up the good work. I will leave more specific comments for the better coaches on here.

I also wanted to point out to you that Ripp has a forum which you can't link to here b/c it's censored, but you should find it and read that daily. You can post a video there too, or just learn from the others that post videos.
Thanks! About the other forum - I've seen things "*****" before and thought there was something like that going on...
Old 01-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
Beau Bryant

Profile:

I only watched the last work set, no air squat video for me. Here is what I would fix and in this order:

1. Look down not straight ahead
2. Sit back especially at the bottom and start of the ascent. Your knees are sliding forward which leads to zero hip drive. The knees should stop sliding forward well before you reach the bottom of the squat.

Number 1 may help number 2. If not a TUBOW will definitely do the trick in the absence of a good coach helping you.

Good luck

And your press is not good (from what I can tell with the angle) so you should read more on it. Of all the things to damage you this will do it. Make sure you press properly. The first thing you should do based off the bad angle is narrow your grip.

Last edited by Beau Bryant; 01-07-2011 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: wasn't gonna watch the press video then for some strange reason I did. It also needs some fixin.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Bryant View Post
I only watched the last work set, no air squat video for me. Here is what I would fix and in this order:

1. Look down not straight ahead
I think Rip teaches the squat by telling people to pick a point to stare at 6-12 feet on the floor in front of them or something like that. Just a word of caution to the OP though - if you have low back or neck issues, be careful if you do squat this way. If it aggravates it, obviously don't do it. Rip's the only strength coach who teaches people to squat this way that I know of. While it's definitely beneficial for engaging the hip muscles, I don't know whether or not is safe in the long term.

Last edited by Thomas Green; 01-07-2011 at 11:29 AM..