CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-07-2005, 07:19 AM   #1
Neal Winkler

Profile:
I was wondering if anyone knew wether or not it was ok for a person with either slight scoliosis in the lumbar region or slight lordosis to do such exercises as squats and deadlifts?

Thanks,

Neal
Old 10-07-2005, 10:02 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
It is fine...start with negligible loads (PVC->empty bar->65lbs...etc.) insist on perfect form (use the digital coaching for helP) and stretch the heck out of the hip flexors and hamstrings...they are likely very tight if there is a pronounced lordosis.
Robb
Old 10-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
William Hunter

Profile:
Accessory work for scoliosis would include the side bridge exercises (Stu McGill is a big fan of these). These are easy to add in as a cool down exercise. They nail the QL muscles hard, which are likely the most imbalanced in a scoliotic curve. If you have anything serious you'll find one side much harder than the other.

What do you define as Lordosis? Have you had your anterior to posterior lumbar curve measured after x-rays have been taken? Also, there are "excessive" spinal curves that are still quite functional (mainly because they capable of moving through a range of motion), and curves that fall within normal limits when measured, yet have no intersegmental motion and are, therefore, less functional.

Overall, I would quote Robb..."It is fine".
Old 10-07-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
Jason Erickson

Profile:
If it is a "slight" or even "moderate" condition, then competent chiropractic care may be able to correct it. I strongly advise pursuing such care in conjunction with your exercise program.

Stretching and mobilizing all of your spine -above, below and in the affected area will be key to avoiding injury. Dynamic movements as a warmup and slower, deeper movements as part of a cooldown are the approach I prefer.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:51 AM   #5
Marc Johnson

Profile:
I have a slight case of scoliosis. All my life the righ side of my body has seemed to carry more of the load when playing sports than my left. My right thigh is bigger than my left, and both my right thigh and lower back seem to get tired before my left side when I'm posting up in hoops or squating. Some people also tell me that when I run it seems that I drag my left leg a little especially when im tired. Is this some thing that will be helped or hurt by training normally, and can you give a link that will show me what side bridges are.
Thanks
Old 10-08-2005, 05:35 AM   #6
William Hunter

Profile:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-w/uscga/ser...ide-Bridge.htm

There you go.

You should probably work some unilateral training into your schedule, like pistols. We all probably have slight imbalances in our musculoskeletal system but having a scoliotic curve presents you with a slightly tougher road.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:28 AM   #7
Abby Phenix

Profile:
i would make sure they'd seen an orthopedist and know why they have scoliosis. sometimes it's a fixable condition as a result of a muscle imbalance or leg length discrepancy and sometimes it's untreatable and you have to work around it. it's important to know which is which though. a simple pair of orthotics might fix everything, but having them follow the WODs and do any running without knowing might make everything worse.