CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-03-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
Mark Baldwin

Profile:
I thought I had a strong abs til I tried l-sits on my paralletes!! I cannot even hold for 2 seconds, ughhh!! One of my main problems is a lack of hip and hamstring flexibility but still I should hold it longer. should I start in a "knees-to-chest" position and increase the leg length when I can hold for 60 secs?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-03-2005, 12:17 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Work on both knees to chest, as well as femur parallel with floor. (you'll of course need to be higher than on 4" parallettes or your feet will hit). Start working on straightening your legs well before the 60 second mark.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Yes, what Roger said!

There is a strength and a flexibility component to the Lsits. You have to work on both. Consider doing some hamstring stretches/forward bends before your L-sit practice. Once you are loose, you can practice first with your knees in your chest (ankles in front of you), then lower your femurs parallel to the floor (ankles underneath you) like a tuck planche. I would try to move from one position to the other or from knees in the chest and then exhale straighten one leg, then inhale it back. Then exhale and straighten the other leg, then inhale it back.

Start as tucked up as possible and slowly press your feet straight out and then back off a little before you collapse.

Maximize the time with your body lifted by varying the angles of your legs. Eventually you'll be able to hold a minute in the easiest position, then slowly progressing to a full L position.

Remember to keep stretching and improving your flexibility. It doesn't come overnight.