CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Anyone had to reduce zone carb blocks ?

Just curious if anyone had to alter the zone ratios to lose weight.

Been doing 2 weeks of 17-19 blocks zone ratios and seem to be gaining weight. This happened before. 9 years ago on strict atkins I lost 2-3lbs per week.

Thinking I need to reduce carb blocks. Just curious if anyone else had this problem.

Thx
Old 05-26-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
Nick Shimondle

Profile:
Re: Anyone had to reduce zone carb blocks ?

What are you eating in your carb blocks?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I'd need more information to give good advice--how much do you weigh, what's your best guess on your bodyfat percentage, and what's your activity level? 17-19 blocks could cover a pretty wide range of people but it's pretty likely you're eating too much for your specific LBM and activity level. Or you're adding muscle in place of fat, in which case you're eating just right and shouldn't be too concerned with what the scale says.

I played around with reducing carbs and adding fat in their place but it wasn't so much a weight loss thing--fat is just easier to eat and I found that my body runs better on fewer carbs.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
Kevin Burns

Profile:

My carb blocks are mostly veggies or fruit. Sometimes i'll use toast or oatmeal for breakfast but that is it for the unfavorable carbs. blocks around 17-19.

I'm 5'10'', with good amt of muscle, and around 205-210. how many lbs of muscle would i really expect to be putting on in 2 weeks time at 39 years of age. the weight increase only started when I went to strict zone ratios/blocks.

working out 3on/1off cycle. metcon/heavy day/metcon.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Hmm...if you're a pretty lean 205lbs then 17-19 blocks would be on the low end of what you need for a 3/1 activity level. And you're right, at 39 you're not going to be adding LBM fast if you've got any sort of fitness background. I'd say to eat however much it takes to keep you from having performance drops or feeling too hungry between meals. If you want to start cutting carbs start by cutting 1-2 carb blocks and replacing each one with 3 fat blocks. Tweak it a little from week to week by cutting or adding more til you find what works best for you. Make a majority of your carbs vegetables rather than fruits--the higher sugar level in fruits produces a bigger insulin response that can slow weight loss.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
Kevin Burns

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Hmm...if you're a pretty lean 205lbs then 17-19 blocks would be on the low end of what you need for a 3/1 activity level.
Oh do I wish I was. I figure I should probably be around 180lbs.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Get us a better idea of your body fat percentage, even if it means a somewhat skewed measurement using tape measure. Once you get a decent idea of that, it's much easier to tweak your blocks.

I did strict Zone for some months and had great success w/o having to tweak the carbs. The only time I started lowering them and increasing the fat was when I hit a BF% that I was happy with.

Now I can't do strict Zone, as I'm stuck with chow hall food on base and 2-3 meals a day, so I eat as low carb as I can, eyeball my portions to Zone'ish standards, and keep things as Paleo as possible.

Tweak away and find what works for you. Many CrossFitters end up on lower carbs than the Zone prescribes.