CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-17-2004, 08:25 PM   #1
Matt McManmon

Profile:

When Coach is creating the WoD's he seems to favor deadlifts over squats. Do deads gather better results then more regular squatting? ive noticed that finding a max for deads is quite common, whereas squats is very rare.

What is the thinking behind this? Do deads hit more muscle groups? Are they significantly better for the hips/mid section? Safety? convenience?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:39 AM   #2
Roy Taylor

Profile:
Matt,

Deads hit virtually every muscle in the body. However, after tuesday, I finally decided to just replace them with powercleans(I would do squats, but no rack) Reason being is because, even though I do every rep with perfect form, it makes me worthless for many days afterward(very sore back and leg muscles, can't do trampoline stunts, can't do spinning or turning kicks without pain, etc. IMHO, deadlifts take away more athletic performance than they give back. Unless of course, you're a powerlifter or bodybuilder.

I'm not sure why deads are favored. Probably because a great deal of us here don't have a squat rack, and deads are the alternative. More importantly, deadlifts will give a greater neuroendocrine response than squats.

Cheers

Roy
Old 06-18-2004, 05:59 AM   #3
Steve Shafley

Profile:
The squat involves a far greater range of motion in the legs and posterior chain that entirely makes up for the upper back, arm, and hand aspects of the deadlift. The deadlift involves far less skill than the squat, as well. As well as neuroendocrine response, go a head and try a few sets of classic breathing squats as detailed by McCallum (in his exemplary Keys to Progress) and Strossen (as detailed in Super Squats) and come back and tell me that again.

Roy, the infrequency of the appearance of the deadlift in the WOD is what makes it so brutal on you. I would also consider your relatively young "training age" as well. Regardless, when done seriously, deadlifts can seriously impact your performance for ~2-4 days afterwards.

I do believe you are correct though in saying that the deadlift is chosen because all you need is a bar and plates, it's probably the most effective low-tech, brute force move out there. Plus, you typically miss the deadlift shortly after you start the lift, there's no getting trapped at the bottom, or balance issues.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:31 AM   #4
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I might add, what could be more functional than to train to pick up something heavy?

I finished building my rock retaining walls and rock patio in the backyard, and it was an endless series of near-single rep max deadlifts. I really got into it, in fact. Kept going to the local scree pile and picking the biggest rocks I could lift to bring back home for the wall. The crossfit deadlifts were great prep for the yard work.

Moving furniture, picking up your whining 4 year old, carrying a keg of beer, changing a flat tire, taking your bride across the threshold (or groom for Lynne and Kelly)...it's all deadlifts.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:22 AM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Mike, actually, I prefer the fireman's carry for dragging my groom around...but that d/l sure is handy for getting him positioned properly! :lol:
Old 06-18-2004, 09:50 AM   #6
Matt McManmon

Profile:

Good points!

Speaking of the posterior chain, What style of deadlifting do you guys use for the WOD's? I got the idea to start using the sumo stance to get my posterior chain active in the WOD's and place less stress on my mid section. However when there is a max day, i always go back to conventional style because i can lift more that way.

Old 06-18-2004, 10:53 AM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Matt-
I really prefer the conventional stance. For details on why check the archives as we had a very detailed discussion of the pros/cons of each position.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:38 AM   #8
Roy Taylor

Profile:
I'd say that if one wants to get real good at Oly lifting, then do the conventional stance by all means. However, incorporating sumo stance once in a while is important for adding extra strength to your hip abductors.

Cheers

Roy