CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Colleen King

Profile:
Clean/snatch form

after watching the video yesterday of annie and greg doing their squat cleans, i saw something in annie's form that made me question what i thought to be correct...

is it incorrect form to widen your stance at the catch phase (bottom of the squat) in a squat clean or snatch? i thought, yes. but i would be love to be wrong!

see, i have about 8" or so on annie and long legs too boot, so whenever i work on those two lifts, when i catch it in a wide stance, it's very noticeable. i thought i was just weak in those oly lifts and have been concentrating on my front/back squat form/stance to increase my hip stabilizers (adductors/gluts) -- which i need to do anyway. any thoughts?

any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Clean/snatch form

Your landing position is generally wider then your jumping position. Now don't go nuts here and spread'em real wide, but yes, to land wider in the catch is fine and normal. For me, if you were to trace my feet in my jumping position, I'd land with the inside of my feet along the outside of where they started. (clear as mud?)

Last edited by Chris Walls; 09-24-2007 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

The landing stance should be the same as your normal front squat or overhead squat stance. No wider than that.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Corey Duvall

Profile:

The pulling stance is with your feet directly below your hips. This is to maximally transfer the hip extension power to the floor. The landing stance is your normal squat stance, which is slightly wider than your hips with your toes pointed out slightly. This is to allow room for the pelvis to sink below the legs in a proper full ROM squat.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
Chris Melanson

Profile:

So - if I'm landing my snatch with feet significantly wider than back-squat, I'm way too wide? Is this a flexibility thing? Would it still be safe to go low in this manner if I don't go too heavy and finally, would doing so help or hinder development of strength and/or flexibility?

Thanks!

Chris
Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

It's likely not flexibility - it's strength. I used to (and can still) squat more if I widen my stumpy legs way out - see powerlifters. IMO, widening the legs uses a different part of the quad and is much easier getting out of the hole - because you never really get there! However - once you've retrained yourself, you'll find you have more explosive power, IMO.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I used to land with wide feet and straighter legs, especially in power cleans and push jerks. It was just form for me.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
Colleen King

Profile:

so am i right in thinking that to correct this form imperfection, that i need to work on front/back squat form? and non-weighted clean/snatch form work? what would you think about jumping squats to get used to the landing position?

thank you so much for all your help and comments!
ck
Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
Yoon Sohn

Profile:

Yes, having good front squat form (elbows high, proper stance, good posture) is very important for squat cleans. The more comfortable (and stronger) you are with front squatting, the better your squat cleans will feel, especially as you progress to heavier weights.

To work on your landing stance, try doing drop snatches...no need to go heavy. Broomstick. Bar. Whatever you feel comfortable with. Make sure to mark the floor (with chalk or something) with your ideal squatting stance, so you can see what adjustments you need to make.

Good luck!!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
Colleen King

Profile:

thanks again! i will keep after it!

ck