CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
Chris Bonvie

Profile:
hey everyone,

Im new to the website and had some open questions to everyone. Ive been working out for a few years and started getting ver serious in the past few months, with changing my diet and lifestyle to suit my goals. I also do kickboxing and jiujitsu. I checked out this website because I need to change the direction my fitness is going. Before I wanted to bulk up, (I still do) but now I need to get into prime condition for some physical testing coming up in a few months. I was offered a position as a Search and Rescue Tech providing I pass all the tests. Here's what they look like:

SAR Tech Maintenance Test

Hand Grip Strength Test
20 metre shuttle run which increases tempo/pace every 30 seconds
Minimum Level 8
Maximum Number of non-stop push-ups
Maximum Number of sit-ups in 60 seconds
Lifting a 40kg weight from the floor onto a 1.5 metre high platform

SAR Tech PT Test

1.5 mile run (less than 10 minutes 15 seconds)
31 push-ups
33 sit-ups
8 chin-ups
450 metre shuttle run
2x 6 metre rope climb
All within 17 minutes

SAR Tech Swim Test
685 Metre swim

All within 20 Minutes

Now Im confident the WOD routine will help for sure, but Ive never been really big into cardio. I have a mountain bike I like to ride and I used to be a lifeguard, but Im just wondering if people have any suggestions as how to start some good cardio training. Im going to get a pool membership and start swimming again for sure for that last part. Im open to ideas, and look forward to hitting it hard!!!

Chris

Old 04-04-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Do not bike for your cardio training...unless there is a bike component you didn't tell us about. That 10:15 time in the 1.5 mile run is pretty darn fast at a a bit faster tna 7:00 per mile pace. Can you hoof it along that fast after all that other stuff? You need to do some prepatory milage if you are a non-running sort to work your legs up to being able to tolerate some good hard speed work. Lap splits of 1:40 seconds gives you a passing score with a time of 10 flat for the 1.5 miles where 1:45 fails you at 10:30. You MUST learn to control your lap splits and you do that by training on a track, not just running around the block.

Will the run be your weakest event? The CrossFit WOD's will do a great job of preparing you for this event but you need to make sure you concentrate on those things that give you the most trouble. "What do you do for cardio?" is a running joke in this community. If you do the WOD as prescribed, you will not have the wind to even ask the question after you finish.

We can give more specific help if you ask some more specific questions and tell us where your weaknesses are.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:23 AM   #3
Chris Bonvie

Profile:
well my weaknesses would definitely be the run and the swim. Ive done swim training before for timed swims, so I have a wee bit of experience with that part but I've never really been a runner. (aside from 100m dash on the gr. 3 track team). Those would be the 2 Im most concerned about. Everything else is no problem, just training to do it witihn time thats all. The other thing is I wouldnt be looking at doing the 2 at the same time. More than likely Id be doing some type of cardio in the morning and then my work out in the afternoon or evening. Not sure if that narrows it down at all :| Thanks for the input!!

Chris
Old 04-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Use the search function with my name and swim and then separately my name with run and you will find quite a few posts about running and swimming workouts.

For swimming check out Total Immersion and learn to swim long, balanced and on your side. What you need are swim drills to learn to swim efficiently. Fast swimming is all about efficiency, not power. Look for a masters swim program you can attend and most importantly, get into the water and swim. Frequency is very important to develop and keep a feel for the water.

For running you want to look into the Pose running technique by Dr. Romanov. Check out www.posetech.com. For books check out anything written by Jack Daniels - he's your best bet for speed work.

Check out the other posts and come back with whatever other questions you have.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:11 AM   #5
Chris Bonvie

Profile:
That's awesome, I really appreciate the help Ill check it out.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Chris,
Eugene is right after most WOD you won't be thinking you need more cardio. Swimming is a great functional all around work out. The running, not my strong suit either, sprinting will help a lot, also split time as Eugene commented. Good luck, should'nt be a problem. Hit it hard.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:12 AM   #7
Patrick O'Neil

Profile:
I can tell you from personal experience that CF is an excellent place to prepare for physical fitness testing. I took my annual PFT a year ago and put up decent numbers. I've been CFitting for several months and just took my annual test last week. I IMPROVED IN EVERY CATEGORY, EVEN THOUGH I HAD NOT DONE ANY OF THE CATEGORIES AS I WAS TESTED ON IN MONTHS.

Sounds confusing, I'll give an example. One of our events is a 300 meter sprint, my most dreaded event. I trained my *** off for years and had a decent time down. After several months of CF and not running one 300m sprint, I took over a full second off my time. Keep CFitting, your test scores will improve.

As for cardio, I'd do the WOD and add a 2 mile run, 500m shuttle run, or 700m swim either at the beginning or the end of each WOD. This should keep you prepared for your test.

Keep at it, CF will change your life.