CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-30-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
I opened up a can of Alaskan salmon for the first time last night, and the first thing that hit me was the smell. It was strong! Not necessarily bad, but strong. Then I looked into the can, and I honestly couldn't tell if the meat in there was raw or already cooked. It was nearly a cylinder, floating in an oily liquid, that had a few bones in it.

I poured out about 2/3 of a cup of it, meat, bones, and liquid, then stared at it for a while. I wasn't sure what to do with it! It was the first time I had seen such a thing, and I was stumped. So, without any better ideas, I fried it up quickly with some onion and garlic salts (including the liquid from the can), and ate it. It tasted okay, but had too much garlic.

What do you normally do with it?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I dunno, I can't stand fish, I've tried a ton of times, and a ton of different fish, and it's always got a nasty taste to me.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
Chris Lampe

Profile:
I have some friends who make pretty tasty salmon patties. I don't remember the recipe but I know it had some non-paleo friendly ingredients. You might search the web for a better version.

Also, as far as I know any canned food has been cooked because that's how they kill the microbes that would otherwise cause quick spoilage.

ETA: Matt posted while I was typing and I'll add that I have similar feelings about salmon. No matter what I do I can't seem to like the taste. I LOVE orange Roughy and when I mentioned it to a friend from China she was interested in trying it. When she did so her exact words were "You call that fish?". So even though I love orange roughy and raw tuna, I guess I'm really not a fish lover.

(Message edited by corwin1968 on June 30, 2007)
Old 06-30-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
Patrick,

The typical thing to do with canned salmon in my family was always to mix it with some eggs and then add either breadcrumbs or crushed crackers, and make patties out of it.

If you want to get fancy, on top of the above you can add some sauteed onions (I prefer them sauteed so they aren't so crunchy) and some fresh chopped parsely.

Actually I like to buy half a side of salmon. Cook that up in some way and eat it, then take the leftovers and turn them into patties. It kicks the crud out of salmon paddies made from canned salmon.

Now obviously with the breadcrumbs and crackers added, it isn't paleo friendly, but portioned correctly you could work it into a Zone Meal.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Kris Freeman

Profile:
That's the beauty of the zone!
Old 06-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Personally, I eat it straight from the can, sometimes mixed into a big green salad. I pour off the liquid, which is mostly water and overly salty for my taste. Use it the same way you might use canned tuna. Mix with some minced onion, celery, etc., mayo to taste, and eat straight, or stuff into hollowed tomatoes or other veggies, hb eggs, etc. Personally, I love salmon and eat it almost every day, especially this time of year when its fresh. The bones are also perfectly edible in canned salmon. I'd recommend the sockeye (red) over the pink. It's more expensive, but imho significantly better and worth it. It's also higher in Omega-3's. I think it has big advantages over tuna because of lower mercury content. The biggest disadvantage is loss of vitamins due to the high heat of canning and the sodium.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
Theresa Meyer

Profile:
You can buy salmon in cups now similar to tuna, and it tastes and looks a lot better. I mix tuna or salmon with a very little bit of light mayo, chopped jalapenos and chopped cilantro. Gets rid of the fishy taste and has a bit of a bite to it!
Old 06-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
I've never been a big fan of seafood patties, but thanks for the thought anyway. I may try adding it into eggs for scrambling though, instead of patties... That could be good.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:24 AM   #9
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I agree the cylinder in the juice is not very appealing. However, I eat it straight from the can.

I mash it up before eating so that juice gets absorbed into the meat. I agree the smell is really strong.

I like the egg patty idea! I have also heard of tacos - mash the salmon and mix in taco seasoning or salsa.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #10
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
You can make the patties paleo-friendly by just dropping the breadcrumbs and replacing them with ground nuts(such as almonds).

I eat canned salmon often when I'm in a rush - and that's pretty often. Some quick ways to prep it:

Mix with relish or chopped veggies and olive oil.

Salsa and olive oil.

Mix with avocado and olives.

Make a quick salad, tossing together whatever is in the fridge or a couple of things you can find at the store.

Seasonings are your friend for quick canned fish meals. Experiment with the spices that you like, then experiment. Spices can easily make an otherwise bland quickie meal great.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland