CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #21
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: USAPL Raw Nationals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Straiton View Post
Thank you Sean. I have an ultimate long term goal of breaking the all time raw world record for 165. I want to break it at 24 years old. I will do it.

I will certainly see you in Scranton!

And my family is coming to watch me, and I'm going to have my mom video tape my lifts. Thank for the offer!
Joshua-
Looks like my wife can't make it - I may be looking for you and your mom, hoping she may be able to take a few pics of me during my lifts.

See you this weekend.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #22
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Good luck with your lifts guys.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #23
Beau Bryant

Profile:

I had a 16 year old working pretty hard for this but his football coach was not too happy so he cannot compete. I have worked with him for about 5 months total and would have loved to see him compete.

Here was his last work set before he started football conditioning. He was at 185 pounds body weight in this video.

350 for 3 sets of 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjx_a...e_gdata_player

Video is WFS

Last edited by Beau Bryant; 08-16-2011 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: missed info
Old 08-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #24
Sean Dunston

Profile:

full report on my wod blog in my signature... but here's an excerpt:

180 kg (396#) good lift.
185 kg (408#) good lift - tied my competition PR from last year's Virginia State championship.
192.5 kg (424#) Boom! Easy. Surprisingly easy. Good lift, and a lifetime PR.

Bench - my worst lift, by far. Last year I only hit my opener (203#) and failed 220# 2x.
95 kg (209#) good lift. Competition PR.
105 kg (231#) good lift. New competition PR.
110 kg (242#) lost tension on the pause, got it about 1/2 way up and failed. Oh well.

Deadlift - I have been struggling with my dead lift over the past few months, and I haven't determined WHY.
195 kg (429#) good lift. Felt heavy but it was not a difficult pull, so I was glad it was in the books. At this point I was back-and-forth texting with my coach (he was in Atlanta celebrating the birth of his first son). He likes to "go for it" but I wasn't feeling all that enthused, so I conservatively called my next lift.
205 kg (451#) good lift. I knew I had a little more in me, but I wasn't sure how much. I called for 212.5 kg for my final lift (468#) which would have been a competition PR. I then got a text from Rudy telling me to re-announce at 215 kg (473#). I knew I'd just put myself over a 500 kg Total (which was a goal of mine) with my last lift, so I went with his call -- you're allowed to change your final lift 2x prior to making the lift, and I got my change in just in time for them to switch it.
215 kg (473#) fail. I got it a few inches under my knees, but it wasn't going any farther.

All in all, I set a lifetime PR on my Squat, got a Total PR at 502.5 kilos (1108#), and was pretty pleased with my results. I would have been happier if I'd gone 9/9, but I still felt good about my performance.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #25
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
full report on my wod blog in my signature... but here's an excerpt:

180 kg (396#) good lift.
185 kg (408#) good lift - tied my competition PR from last year's Virginia State championship.
192.5 kg (424#) Boom! Easy. Surprisingly easy. Good lift, and a lifetime PR.

Bench - my worst lift, by far. Last year I only hit my opener (203#) and failed 220# 2x.
95 kg (209#) good lift. Competition PR.
105 kg (231#) good lift. New competition PR.
110 kg (242#) lost tension on the pause, got it about 1/2 way up and failed. Oh well.

Deadlift - I have been struggling with my dead lift over the past few months, and I haven't determined WHY.
195 kg (429#) good lift. Felt heavy but it was not a difficult pull, so I was glad it was in the books. At this point I was back-and-forth texting with my coach (he was in Atlanta celebrating the birth of his first son). He likes to "go for it" but I wasn't feeling all that enthused, so I conservatively called my next lift.
205 kg (451#) good lift. I knew I had a little more in me, but I wasn't sure how much. I called for 212.5 kg for my final lift (468#) which would have been a competition PR. I then got a text from Rudy telling me to re-announce at 215 kg (473#). I knew I'd just put myself over a 500 kg Total (which was a goal of mine) with my last lift, so I went with his call -- you're allowed to change your final lift 2x prior to making the lift, and I got my change in just in time for them to switch it.
215 kg (473#) fail. I got it a few inches under my knees, but it wasn't going any farther.

All in all, I set a lifetime PR on my Squat, got a Total PR at 502.5 kilos (1108#), and was pretty pleased with my results. I would have been happier if I'd gone 9/9, but I still felt good about my performance.
That's a gnarly squat. Good stuff! Any videos?

That bench needs to go up!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #26
Sean Dunston

Profile:

no pics or video - unfortunately. My wife couldn't make the trip, and I was up there without my coach or teammates.

The whole event was live on UStream -- I just wish there was a way to get archived stuff from ustream, because I want to see my lifts, too.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #27
Sean Dunston

Profile:

aye carumba - I found it! these are the squats from the 82.5 kilo division wfs

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/16770818
Old 08-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #28
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Overall sounds like a great experience to me. Way to kick butt in the squat, and you already have a pretty solid dead.

Do you think you'll stick in this weight class?
What's will be your next goal and approach to that goal?

Curious, due to your sucess.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #29
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Robert-
Yes, I think I will stay at 82.5 kilos for a while... well, that is until the USAPL officially changes to conform with IPF, who just changed all their weight classes this year. Of course, the 82.5 class is probably the least effected by the change, since it just bumps to 83 kilos.

My goal now is to be more diligent in my training. I'm taking a cue from a line in an article by Dan John: "If it's important, do it every day."

This means more benching - for sure.

I'm also going to go back to some older accessory work that I neglected this year, but that I used heavily last year while training for the VA State Championship: sleds, tires, sprints, rack pulls, etc.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #30
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Do you know when in the video stream you get up to squat?